Amp Meter hook up - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Amp Meter hook up

I'm trying to hook up Stewart Warner Amp Meter to a 69 Camaro.This is restored to orig charging system with an external regulator and I don't remember how to run the wiring.Can anyone help ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 03:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Amp Meter hook up

Dan, Ammeters are REALLY not recommended these days. The required wiring can be dangerous. A problem with the wiring at some future date could render the car inoperable, or even burn it to the ground...

If you REALLY want one though, it must be installed in series with the main charge wire to the battery. You'' need about twenty feet of TEN gauge wire, some terminals, heat shrink, and solder and soldering iron. The best place to tap it in is this lil terminal block on the drivers side of the rad support, you have to remove the battery to see it. There are 2 wires on the post, remove the one from the battery, and install one of your new wires in it's place. Connect your other new wire to the wire you removed. It's best to use some sort of solidly mounted insulated terminal block to do this. Run the 2 new wires into the interior and connect them to your gauge.

As I hope you can now imagine, if ANYTHING happens to your new wires, bad things are only moments away. If a connection shorts to ground, it could burn down your car.

I'd suggest buying a voltmeter instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Jim. I'm not sure this is the right way to go but my buddy is very sure he wants it this way.Would be a shame to burn down this nice 69 Z but he's the boss.Better make sure my ins is paid up.
Thanks again,Dan

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The terminal block I think JimM is refering to is on the pass side of radiator support next to the battery.

You could use the horn relay buss bar and use the wire crossing over to the junction block to hook to the gauge. Hook the other new wire from the gauge to the buss bar.

After hook-up, if gauge reads backwards, swap the two gauge leads.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 07:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

You're right, Everett, pass side of course, where the battery is.

On the horn relay side though, there is no easy way to get "only" the charge wire to the battery. That wire goes to the "main splice" and branches to the alternator and regulator, in addition to the horn relay. An ammeter hooked there would always read "discharge."

You could slice into the harness behind the drivers side headlight and take it there, but that's just making matters potentially worse.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 07:43 PM
Senior Tech

ask him if he's really, really sure he want's all of that electricity going through that little gauge! sounds like trouble to me...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 08, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys.I also e-mailed the S/W company and thry sent some instructions.Lots of options on where to tap in.I chose the block by batt and all is well for now.Think I'll park outside for a while,just in case.Thank god it doesn't have ford cruise switches in it!!!
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode