Brake light fuse blows when lights are on, brake pedal pushed and turn - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old May 21st, 08, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Brake light fuse blows when lights are on, brake pedal pushed and turn

Have read all the post's but none are the same as my issue. When I have my lights on and depress my brake the fuse will blow for the tail lights. Front signals and headlights are fine. Brand new tail light harness from classic. New steering column from Ricks First. Rear bulbs are 1157's I removed the steering wheel when I could occasionally here a sparking on the turn signal cam. When lights are on, brake pedal depressed and turn signal turned on to the right there is a hefty spark at the turn signal cam, which will result in the fuse blowing. If lights are not on and brake pedal is pushed and turn signal used no spark and so far no blown fuse. Have not changed flasher units. All works fine if lights are not on.

I hope what I have explained makes sense, I am going batty trying to figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 08, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Brake light fuse blows when lights are on, brake pedal pushed and

Bad turn signal switch. 1157's are dual filament. One filament is tail/park and on all the time via h/lamp switch, brown wire.
The other is stop, drvr is yellow, pass is dark green.

When brake is selected, stop comes on via brake light switch thru turn sig sw.
When turn is selected, stop blinks, brake circuit broken and t/s comes into play.
When brake is on, turn is selected, stop goes out, then stop blinks, supply from blinker.

Only one filament on at any time. For '67, Tail/park/stop are one fuse, '68-'70, stop is one fuse, tail/park/marker is another fuse. All fuses mentioned are 20 amp.

Check ground continuity at the rear bezels. If not a good connection, less than 1 ohm, more resistance in the circuit, more current needed, blows fuse. Spark at turn sig switch is not normal. At the steering column connector or drvr kick panel connector, measure each rear stop circuit to ground, both should be the same resistance, might even compare it to the front to get a reference.

Might even change the blinker, easier.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode