Disatisfied with DSE Headlight door kit - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old May 27th, 08, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Timothy

Disatisfied with DSE Headlight door kit

I bought and installed the DSE electric headlight door kit for my Camaro. There were a few details about the wiring that could have been designed better but that is besides my point. My main complaint is the doors open and close way too fast. They literally slam open and close. I doubt there is a way to adjust this.

I also dislike the way the system resets when the battery has been disconnected. I was going to put in a battery kill switch but Im not sure I want the headlight cycling each time I want to use the car.

Any comments or suggestions is appreciated.

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old May 27th, 08, 11:58 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Disatisfied with DSE Headlight door kit

I've heard complaints about the door speed before. A voltage regulator might help. There was a thread months (or a year) ago discussing the use of a resistor to slow down the doors. IMHO a resistor is not a good speed control for a motor. There are some cheap voltage regulators (i.e. LM7809) that may work well - though I don't know what the current load is or if the 7809 can handle it. It might be worth an experiment considering the LM regulators are less than $3.00 each.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old May 27th, 08, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech
Rico

Call DSE they have great customer support.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old May 27th, 08, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Timothy

I think I will call them. Here is a video of the doors in action.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old May 27th, 08, 01:24 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

That is way to fast. I don't like how they slam.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old May 27th, 08, 01:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

That's scary!

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old May 27th, 08, 02:22 PM
Senior Tech
Rico

Holy cow
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old May 27th, 08, 02:29 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post
Call DSE they have great customer support.
What a novel idea!! Wonder why nobody ever thinks to call the supplier/manufacture but will post in forums and even on YouTube...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old May 27th, 08, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Timothy

I work 9-5 m-f so I dont get much time to call business. But I can use the internet during work hours. Just cant call out. So Im not exactly sure when I will get a chance to actually call them...

I was wondering if other people who have them have the same operation? I dont mean to slam the manufacturer these things are great otherwise!

Last edited by Microgiant; May 27th, 08 at 02:54 PM.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old May 27th, 08, 02:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

I think he was looking to see if anyone else has been in the same boat before calling customer support. "Any comments or suggestions is appreciated"

I know for a fact I hate calling customer service for any product I buy;
1. I dunno if the person on the other end will speak english half the time
2. They are usually reading a co's checklist, one of the dozens they read depending on the co. you are calling about, etc...
3. The person is usually pissed they have to take my call, or just got off the phone with some irate customer who chewed them out. So now I have a CSR with a chip on his/her shoulder.

Those are just 3 of my reasons for asking others who may have knowledge of the product before I turn to my last resort... the CSR.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old May 27th, 08, 03:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68IslTeal View Post
I know for a fact I hate calling customer service for any product I buy;
1. I dunno if the person on the other end will speak english half the time
2. They are usually reading a co's checklist, one of the dozens they read depending on the co. you are calling about, etc...
3. The person is usually pissed they have to take my call, or just got off the phone with some irate customer who chewed them out. So now I have a CSR with a chip on his/her shoulder.
Those things are often true... when calling regarding a home hitech device or computer part, but...

My experience has been it is rarely true with speed parts. Most of these people are car guys. Amaericans who work for speed part dealers and manufacturers because they are into it.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old May 27th, 08, 03:29 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Those things need a CAUTION sticker! Watch out for fast moving parts. Watch your fingers while you're near those things.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old May 27th, 08, 03:29 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Sorry for the sarcasm. Too many don't call the vendor/manufacture and have many reasons or excuses. I could counter all that are presented but won't because I'm not looking for an argument. My frustration comes because too offten we buy things and don't stand up for our rights when things are not right. If the manufacture or vendor doesn't hear his product has problems he can't help resolve them and he continues with the belief that his product is fine.

What happens when you post in forums or videos on youtube about a problem is the vendor/manufacture gets cut off at the knees because thousands might see it and write them off without following up to hear the resolve...

Post titles can really set the pace for a thread and indicate the intent, had this one started with "Problems with..." instead of "Disatisfied with" I would not have responded with my initial post.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old May 27th, 08, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Its nice to see the headlight doors open and close on there own for a change but for what they cost they should fix the speed of operation.
It cant be good on the parts with the doors slamming shut like that.

'67' RS

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old May 27th, 08, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

Those lights open and shut much too hard. Give us an update once you've talked to DSE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode