tic toc tac replacing old one in 68 w/ console gauges - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old May 30th, 08, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

tic toc tac replacing old one in 68 w/ console gauges

Have standard circuit board for tic toc tac with console gauges. Can't recall any wires to the tach when i pulled it out. Now, the new tach won't work (or clock). Must have missed something. Also have console gauges, though fuel and battery gauges don't work. Does the circuit have a wire dedicated to the tac and clock or do these come separately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old May 31st, 08, 06:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: tic toc tac replacing old one in 68 w/ console gauges

The factory 68 wiring included a completely separate wire, grommet, and firewall piercing for the signal wire from the coil to the tach.

If you had a tictoc tach, the wire should be there, try tracking it from the engine side thru the firewall. If you look at the circuit board and tach, one of the 3 studs on the tach does not go to the circuit bd, that;s where the wire attaches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old May 31st, 08, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll attach the wire from the coil to the back of the tach. My clock is not working. There are circuits running to the other posts. Do I need to run a power wire to the back of the tic toc tac??

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old May 31st, 08, 05:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Are you sure this is a tach / gauges dash harness?

The tach/gauges dash harness brings the clk-cty-ltr circuit to the cluster to power the clock. Wire should be orange.

If you look at the pic below:
Lower left EDIT - RIGHT stud on tac (not connected to pcb) is where the coil wire goes.
Lower EDIT - LEFT right stud is ignition power for tach (note it also goes to the idiot lights, ends up on the right pin in the lower row of the cluster connector.)

The top stud is the clock power. The trace in the pcb goes to position 3 (or maybe it's 2?) of the top row. There should be an orange wire there and it should be hot all the time.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

Last edited by JimM; May 31st, 08 at 08:32 PM.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old May 31st, 08, 06:38 PM

Might want to switch your left and right unless your looking at the gauges from the front faces.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old May 31st, 08, 08:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapexp View Post
Might want to switch your left and right unless your looking at the gauges from the front faces.
LMAO, I think that's because I'm left handed, yes, I'll go fix it thanks.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old May 31st, 08, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

arrrgggh! I have the right circuit board. Power is running to the posts. The clock still doesn't work. I don't have the tach hooked up to the coil yet. Might be a bad clock.!?
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 08, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

As i look at your picture of the back of the gauges, if i give power to the 4 o'clock post, the clock runs. This confused me because this is the post that the circuit bypasses thereby making me think it would be the tach post. Could it be that the wires are switched on the other side of the posts? Thanks

Last edited by 68fan; Jun 1st, 08 at 09:24 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 08, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

bump
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 08, 09:27 AM

I kinda wondered if that post wasn't the clock power. I pulled my tach last month to send it off for repair and installed an OER temporarily. Seems someone said that the tach is controlled by the circuit board. Is yours in good shape and is it grounded well? Check where the harness plugs into the circuit board and make sure your getting good contact. Also, do your dash lamps work when you turn on the lights?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 08, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
The factory 68 wiring included a completely separate wire, grommet, and firewall piercing for the signal wire from the coil to the tach.

If you had a tictoc tach, the wire should be there, try tracking it from the engine side thru the firewall. If you look at the circuit board and tach, one of the 3 studs on the tach does not go to the circuit bd, that;s where the wire attaches.
Are you sure of this ? The only stud on the circuit board that isn't connected is the lower r.h. (as you are looking at the cicuit board)& it has the oarnge wire to it.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 08, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

The top (center) post on the back of the tic toc tac does not power my clock. When i provide power to the lower right post (4 o'clock) it runs the clock. I wonder if the wires are wrong to the clock (from the post)
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 08, 12:14 PM

I'm repeating myself but I think the orange wire is power for the clock and it connects to the post at the 4 o'clock postition. The tach is powered by the circuit board and has no wires. Check the circuit board, it's connections, and ground. Does anything else work thats connected to the circuit board (instrument cluster lamps)?? Is your tach connected to the distributor or ignition?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 08, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Oh. I see. I haven't been able to even check the tach yet--carb is off. Will get it all hooked up with the orange wire to 4 o'clock and see if it all works. Thanks.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 08, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Clock works. Now the tach does not work. I ran a wire back from the coil (negative lead) to the dash plug that connects to the top center post on the back of the tach. ??????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode