Power problem - 69 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 08, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Power problem - 69

I am not sure if this is an electrical problem or something else. All of a sudden last night while driving home, I was crusing at about 30, I just lost all power and the engine cut off. The radio and lights still worked, but I lost engine, brakes and PS. The car is a 69. I let it sit for 5 minutes and was able to start it right up. I assume it could be elctrical, but might be a fuel pump, fuel filter or possible vapor lock? (fuel filter replaced about 2 mos ago). The reason I dont think it is fuel related is b/c the car didnt slowly stall. It just shut down. Could it be in my ignition switch? I drove the car all around yesterday and this didnt happen until about 9 pm. The only things I did to the car yesterday out of the normal is refuel and apply the parking break.

This morning I ran out to get some coffee and the same exact thing happened. Any thoughts on where to start?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Indy Pace Clone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 08, 10:41 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Power problem - 69

Check under the steering column at the wiring harness (the pins in the harness come loose)mounted to the under side of the column, the best way to check this and the Ignition switch is to remove the steering column mount at the bottom of the dash. Then check around the fuse box area for a bad ground.

Also there are 2 wiring harness but check the wiring harness on the fire wall behind the brake booster that feeds the ignition, coil and starter. It could be a loose wire on the coil.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 08, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Craig

Skip - thanks for the response. The more I think about it, I am wondering if I am not dealing with an electrical problem. The reason I say this is that once the engine dies, it will not restart...seams like it is not getting fuel. But after a few minutes, it starts right up. Does this sound like a fuel filter issue? (some debris clogging, and over time, dropping to the bottom of the filter? When I got gas yesterday I was able to get 10 gals in the tank...could this have stirred up some debris? I have never dropped below half a tank.

1969 Indy Pace Clone

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 08, 11:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

It sounds like a bad coil.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 08, 08:49 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

Check your grounds. Make sure you have one running from the batt. to the engine block or alt. bracket. I had a similar issue this spring with my 69. I had tried to clean the look up a little in the engine bay. I had just run the batt. ground to the inner fender. I had a ground strap from the fire wall to the valve cover. And a ground strap from the firewall to the sf. Had the batt. checked at O'Rielly's - good. Alt. - good. This happened several times like you. Would run for a while and die. Rechecked all my wiring and ended up running a longer wire for ground to the block from the batt. Haven't had an issue since. Also star washer your grounds.

Last edited by tgifford5; Aug 4th, 08 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Additional info - last sentence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode