Radio On? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 08, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Radio On?

Does the key need to be in the ignition or does the car need to be on for the radio to work? Or does it just work whenever you turn it on? 67 Coupe - A.M. Radio

thanks,
dave

67 RS / SS 350 Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 08, 07:49 PM
Senior Tech

Smile Re: Radio On?

I just swapped out my AM for an original AM/FM. Put the key in, turn to acc. radio works fine.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 08, 09:27 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Re: Radio On?

You can wire it to turn on whenever you turn the radio on. Instead of hooking one wire to constant 12volts and the other wire to switched 12volts, hook them both to constant 12volts. That way you can turn it on WHENEVER you want, but you have to be careful to remember to turn it off or not leave it on for too long because your battery will die.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 08, 02:02 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Factory wire turns off when ign off
If u want to run ity with ign off..like I have
Hook into the orange wire that goes to the cig lighter.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 08, 04:01 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Exactly. The two power wires for the radio are 1. 12v constant. That one operates your clock and presets. 2. switched 12 volts to give power to the unit. Just hook the switched 12 volts together with the wire you used for the constant 12 volts and it will run whenever you want. It's hard on your head unit though. You have to remember that you are going to have to turn the unit off and on constantly now. That is going to take its tole on the buttons. One of my first cars had the radio able to turn on whenever and the buttons got to the point that it wouldn't turn the volume up or when it did it would make a static noise and I would have to play with the knob to get it to raise the volume, but this was a knob style radio. If you have a button style power button, you probably won't have to worry that much, especially if it has a remote.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 08, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Thanks for all the info. The problem I was having was that the radio was dead, or so I thought. I took everything apart, pulled the radio and messed around and it came back to life. Probably a bad connection somewhere. I'm still going to take it apart and clean it out, it has about 40 years worth of dust in it. I was not sure if the radio would just turn on without the key. A lot of old cars did that, at least the ones my parents had did. I probably won't rewire it though, not for an A.M. radio.

Also got my heater / defroster fan working again while I was in there. All in all it was a good day.

67 RS / SS 350 Coupe
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 08, 06:54 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I would go to a computer shop and get a can of air. They use it blow off the key boards and such. It would work great for blowing out the dust.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 08, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I took the radio apart and cleaned it out and got it working great. I even fixed the light. I had no idea there was an actual light bulb in there.

67 RS / SS 350 Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode