Team Camaro Tech banner

Brake lights fail when turn signals/4ways on

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  68greg 
#1 ·
I've got a 68Rs with the AAW classic Update wiring installed. I'm have a problem with the brake lights working when the turn sinals and 4ways are on. Brake lights work, but if the turn signals or the 4ways are on both brake lamps go out but the correct lamps for the turn signals/4ways work. any thoughts or has anyone had this happen?

#2 ·
Brake lights, turn signals and emergency lights use the same filament of the bulb.
Brake lights work first.

Turn on signals and power comes from turn signal switch, brake circuit comes out of the picture.

Emergency flashers over rule the turn signals.

Heirarchy of power: Emergency flashers, turn signals, then brake lights.

#4 ·
I think the question you're asking is if you use the turn signal or 4-ways, should you lose brake/stop light? Yes, this action is normal.

With no turn signals selected, brake lights work with brake light switch through the turn signal switch. Select a turn, and t/s sw takes away brake power and applies t/s power, no brake power.

I reread your first post and I think you're asking "When t/s is selected, the brake light for the OTHER side goes out. Is this normal?" No, it is not. Stop light for the unselected side should be working as a stop light if brakes are applied. Problem does read as if it could be the t/s switch. Do you remember the circuits working normal before? COuld be a miswire in AAW harness, also.

Remember, 4-ways overrule all; they come on and nothing else works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.