Electirc fan help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 08, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Electirc fan help

Hey guys, I tried to get my electric fan running today I had some problems. I conected one wire from the fan to a switch(fuse) inside the car, and another fron the switch to the horn relay. Turn it on and nothing. If I unplug the wire from the horn relay and go directly to the battery, the fan runs. The car is an RS. the wiring for the headlamp motors are there but no motor installed. Is there someplace I can start looking? Will not having the headlight door motors inplace or the switches that control the doors openning and closing have an effect? The headlights dont come on either and not sure if this is due to something relay related or not. Does the postive wire from the battery to the junction on the firewall go right to the relay? The relay is brand new so I dont thing its the problem. But never know!!

thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 08, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Electirc fan help

First off, you must use a relay (not the horn relay). Trying to switch a heavy load like an electric fan on with just a switch is asking for a fire.

Personally, I'd mount my relay near the passenger's side of the core support. I'd run my power feed from the relay to the junction block on the core support behind the battery using a fusable link or a self-resetting breaker.

Connect one side of the relay coil to the power source. You can use the same power source as the load power (via breaker or fusable link), but a better approach would be to use switched accessory power to prevent the fan from running when the car is off. Connect the other side of the relay coil to a switch that grounds when activitated (temp switch, toggle switch, or both).

Ground the fans to a good ground. You can use the core support, and the block may even be better. Connect fan power to the N.O. contact of the relay.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 08, 10:59 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Here's how to wire the relay.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 08, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

HI guys, Thanks for the input on this. I guess the reason I conected it to the horn relay was from searching through some old posts and what JimM posted in this link
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ric+fan+wiring

I looked at the horn relay and when I conect the volt meter, I get 12 volts on all terminals ecept one. Is this right? Now the realy is buzzing!!!!

I also looked at the wiring for the 67 camaro and they show a black wire from the horn relay that leads up to the firwall. I have a black wire that leads from the relay to somewhere along the core support?

Sorry if this is getting confusing, but I'm really paranoid when it comes to this electrical stuff!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 08, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

I looked more at the black wire from the relay to the front and it seems to go to the horn. The wiring diagram that I have said it should be a dkgrn wire if I'm reading it right. When I conect the volt meter to it, it shows only about 4 volts. When I disconted the wire, the buzzing stops and no volts to the horn connector. Hope this help with this troubleshooting.

thanks again guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode