voltage regulator clicking all the time - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 08, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

voltage regulator clicking all the time

After I brought the car home the other day, when I pulled up to the garage to open the door, I heard this sound that sounded like a small engine running, opened the hood and the voltage regulator was clicking that fast. the only way to stop it was to pull the battery cable. I messed with it a little and when I touched it, it grounded to the radiator and started stopped clicking. My question... is the volatge regulator suppose to have a ground wire attached to the radiator support? I know it is mounted in well nuts so I thought is is suppose to be insulated from the rad support. Help...

68SS 396/375 L-78 Camaro
68 Chevelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 08, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech
Timothy

Re: voltage regulator clicking all the time

I dont have a 68 but Im pretty sure it should have a ground wire.

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 08, 05:19 PM
Banned
Ron

Yes, just look at the voltage regulator and you'll see a small screw hole around the base.....This is where you attach the ground wire with a screw, and the other side grounds to the radiator support.....I don't believe this is the problem, however, I could be wrong!.....Just purchase either another mechanical or an electronic one.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 08, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I don't wanna mess this one up. Original to the car and a nos or restored one cost hundreds! I did see the small screw hole in the base of the regulator.

68SS 396/375 L-78 Camaro
68 Chevelle
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 08, 06:10 PM
Banned
Ron

Then perhaps you could remove the cover and clean up and reset the points in there.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 08, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus4funn68 View Post
My question... is the volatge regulator suppose to have a ground wire attached to the radiator support? I know it is mounted in well nuts so I thought is is suppose to be insulated from the rad support. Help...
Yes, VR chassis should be grounded so it will be at the same reference point as the alternator case.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 08, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

the points stuck is what I think is wrong now. Here is where Im at now. I grounded the regulator chassis and the clicking stopped but I got in the car and the generator light was on very bright without the key in the switch. I took the ground back off of the regulator, clicking started back so I unhooked the 2 wire plug from the back of the alternator and the clicking stopped then too. So you think the points are stuck?

68SS 396/375 L-78 Camaro
68 Chevelle
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 08, 08:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Quote:
I don't wanna mess this one up. Original to the car and a nos or restored one cost hundreds! I did see the small screw hole in the base of the regulator.
May need to send it to Pirkle for restoration.

http://www.johnpirkle.com/

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 08, 09:00 AM
Retired
Jim

replace it with Wells 715 electronic regulator and no more points. Your old cap will go right over the Wells unit to make it look original too. Dont mess with those old points. Replace it.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 08, 09:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

C'mon Click. Nothing looks better than to see that date code on the regulator when you pop the hood. They work fine when the are working correctly.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 08, 09:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
C'mon Click. Nothing looks better than to see that date code on the regulator when you pop the hood. They work fine when the are working correctly.
I disagree. I couldn't get my old school points regulator to maintain the charge in my maitenance free battery. When I set it up high enough to keep the battery charged the points would stick when I shut the car off and drain the battery. If I set it to not stick the alternator would not support the load of the heater and lights. My cure was to replace the alternator with a internal regulated one. YMMV

Jeff
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 08, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well there is somethings to consider here. Ive tried to keep every part that is original to the car on it or in it. And to preserve all of the car as possible. Some things I have done is take out the 170 distributor and use a similar one with breakerless system, got the DZ carb on the shelf and using another holley, same with the 37amp alternator. Maybe I should just keep the VR on the shelf with the correct stuff and put in a modern one to take the car to cruise-in's. Maybe go ahead and send this one to Pirkle this winter.

68SS 396/375 L-78 Camaro
68 Chevelle
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 08, 01:54 PM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Maybe I should just keep the VR on the shelf with the correct stuff and put in a modern one to take the car to cruise-in's. Maybe go ahead and send this one to Pirkle this winter.

That sounds like an excellent plan!.....It's too bad you can't repair it yourself and save some $$.....Get the maintenance free, electronic voltage regulator for trouble free operation!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 08, 02:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Quote:
Well there is somethings to consider here. Ive tried to keep every part that is original to the car on it or in it. And to preserve all of the car as possible. Some things I have done is take out the 170 distributor and use a similar one with breakerless system, got the DZ carb on the shelf and using another holley, same with the 37amp alternator. Maybe I should just keep the VR on the shelf with the correct stuff and put in a modern one to take the car to cruise-in's. Maybe go ahead and send this one to Pirkle this winter.
I hope you kept the 180 distributor. Why not put all the stuff back on and make it correct? What does the 837 alternator hurt? I have been using a restored regulator for most of a year now w/o a problem. If it is done right there is no problem.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 08, 06:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
replace it with Wells 715 electronic regulator and no more points. Your old cap will go right over the Wells unit to make it look original too. Dont mess with those old points. Replace it.
I agree! best thing i ever did!
only 20-30 bucks too!

434 stroker
US Navy retired

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode