Dash lights don't work?...Try this. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 08, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darrin

Dash lights don't work?...Try this.

I've been battling the no-dash-light problem for some time now. After searching here for any possible fix and trying everything I could think of I finally found the culprit last night.

I had one bulb working and all copper traces were showing 11.8 v so I knew the circuit board had to be good. I grounded the metal housing to a new chassis ground so that was good. I took the one good bulb and tried it in all different locations and it worked, which now pointed to either bulbs or sockets. I switched out the working bulb in different sockets and got no light, which pointed towards the sockets themselves. Closely inspecting the sockets, I found oxidation and corrosion on the four prongs supporting the bulbs, preventing good contact. I took a small file and carefully cleaned the corrosion off the prongs where they supported the bulbs. If you notice the upper right and lower left (in my blurry pictures - sorry) are the two prongs that make contact with the bulb. These two had the worst corrosion, as you can sort of see in the pic. I also bent the prongs in slightly to aid in contact with the buld and also the tabs on the outside of the socket that make contact with the circuit board, just in case. After going through all 8 sockets every damn light in the dash works!

All the hours spent head-scratching and buying new bulbs and cussing and throwing things and it was the sockets all along.

Last edited by dfahy68; Oct 25th, 12 at 12:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 08, 11:13 AM
Banned
Ron

Re: Dash lights don't work?...Try this.

Good for you man!....I remember I had a problem with a couple of my sockets and I also bent the tabs which make contact with the circuit board, just like you did!.....I didn't have any corrosion issues however!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 08, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darrin

Thanks Ron, Dearborn Heights huh? I used to live at Ford Rd and Argyle in east Dearborn. Right by the old Pelican Club bar on Ford Road. Good ole Dearborn - Ford country! I used to sell to Rouge Steel where the Mustang plant was. I think they closed the assembly plant?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 08, 04:31 PM
Banned
Ron

Yes Darrin, we lived in Dearborn from 1970 to 1996 then moved next door to Dearborn Heights (north end) in the Ford Rd & Evergreen area....I graduated Fordson High in 1973.....I purchased my current car from a private party in Springfield, IL.....Are you anywhere near there?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 08, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Darrin

No, we're about 30 miles north of Chicago in Libertyville, 15 miles from WI border. I bought my car, also a 68, in 1985 with the original 327/powerglide. I swapped out the 327 for a 350 back in high school. No clue what happened to the original block, but I wish I had it back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode