69 Camaro Electrical signal issue? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 08, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
DTM

69 Camaro Electrical signal issue?

I have a 69 Camaro with a signal issue. When I turn on my front lights my signal on the passanger side comes on steady and the signal does not work. My question is are the signal lights suppose to come on and act as a park light as well as a signal? The 1157A bulb is a dual filiment bulb which confuses me somewhat if it is just a signal bulb why does it have two filments.

If it is not suppose to come on then I must have a ground issue. Do you know what I should do to remedy this situation?

Is this a common issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 08, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
DTM

1969 Camaro electrical signal issue?

I have a 69 Camaro with a signal issue. When I turn on my front lights my signal on the passanger side comes on steady and the signal does not work. My question is are the signal lights suppose to come on and act as a park light as well as a signal? The 1157A bulb is a dual filiment bulb which confuses me somewhat if it is just a signal bulb why does it have two filments.

If it is not suppose to come on then I must have a ground issue. Do you know what I should do to remedy this situation?

Is this a common issue?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 08, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 1969 Camaro electrical signal issue?

The filament closest to the socket is for parking lights. The upper filament is for stop/turn signals.

For the t/signals to work, both bulbs front & rear need to bethe same number. The flasher relies on current drawn by the two bulbs together to flash and a good ground connection for both. Clean the grounds second after confirming the both bulbs are the same number.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 08, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
DTM

Thanks, all other signals work perfect. It is my front right that turn on when I turn on my head lights. It works fine if my head light are out. Is the bulb suppose to be a 1157A orange bulb and are both bulbs suppose to turn on when I turn on the head lamps. Also it I wanted to replace the whole signal unit where would you recommend me to buy from.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 08, 10:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: 69 Camaro Electrical signal issue?

It has 2 elements. 1 for running lights and 1 for turn signal. The common problem is grounds. It is grounded thru the mounting bolts on the valance panel. Or a bad connection where the bulb plugs into. You might try running a temporary wire from the mounting stud to the ground on the battery and see if it that is the problem.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 08, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
DTM

Can you confirn wether on a 1969 camaro that it is suppose to have front running light? I was told the 1157A was the proper bulb?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 08, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post
Thanks, all other signals work perfect. It is my front right that turn on when I turn on my head lights. It works fine if my head light are out. Is the bulb suppose to be a 1157A orange bulb and are both bulbs suppose to turn on when I turn on the head lamps.
Both front bulbs should be amber.
Bother bulbs should be of the same brillance in both functions used.

It reads like the two power leads are crossed between the parking and turn signal function or the bulb installed wrong, kindda hard with the non-symetrical nipples on the side of the socket. Brown wire is parking/tail light. Dark Blue is right front turn?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 08, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
DTM

Cool I must have them installed slightly out of wack. The 1157NA is the correct bulb?

Thanks.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 08, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you have clear lenses, amber bulbs.
If you have amber lenses, clear bulbs.
But doesn't really make a difference

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode