Battery rules for NHRA? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 08, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul Church

Battery rules for NHRA?

I need to plan my battery system;

What are the NHRA rules regarding battery placement/mounting and shut-off devices for a car slower than 10 seconds?

Since I'm assuming an emergency killswitch is required (and usually mounted on the back of the car), is a trunk-mounted battery the only option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 08, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Battery rules for NHRA?

If battery is mounted in the trunk, the trunk must be sealed from the interior, as in installed back seat or paneled.
Battery cutout switch must be connected to positive cable. Should be ground cable, but NHRA might change the ruling someday.
Battery cutout switch must kill all electrical system, including engine and alternator, no running of engine after switching to OFF.
Battery switch must be labelled for OFF position, whether rotary switch or PUSH-OFF.
Battery must be bolted to frame member with min two min 3/8 inch hardware and in a vented box to the outside.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 08, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul Church

Thanks for those rules!

So is the stock underhood mounting shelf considered 'bolted to a frame member'? If so, maybe a sealed red-top optima battery with a billet hold down will work since it has 3/8" hardware?

Then I could still mount the cutout switch on the back of the car using one of these Painless remote disconnect solenoids (if these solenoids are still considered NHRA legal?)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 08, 03:19 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

I haven't been given a problems with the track Techs on mine. Stock location, and stock hold down... no cut-off switch (but I'm only in the mid-high 11's)

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 08, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you plan on leaving the battery in its stock location, its fine. But you do have to install an across the top battery holddown as the stock 'clip' bolted to the bottom of the tray didn't pass at time I got tech inspected. Each track inspector varies.

I bought an over the top holddown and used all thread from the tray to secure one side then added a bolt to the rad support for the other side.

The only time you need to add a cutout switch is when battery is mounted in the trunk, then the rules apply.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 08, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul Church

Cool! Thanks a lot for the info, that helps me a bunch- no switch needed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode