drivers side tail light not as brite as passenger side - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 08, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

drivers side tail light not as brite as passenger side

Hi Guys
when friends follow me at nite in my 69 camaro they always say that my drivers side tail lights are not as brite as the passenger side tail lights. i have changed all 3 plugs/sockets on the drivers side and all the bulbs on both sides. the drivers side still appears to be a not as brite.
could it be a grounding problem?? where are the tail lights grounded?

any thoughts??

69 Camaro RS/SS 350.<br />GM 2.02 angle plug heads.<br />223 dur/480 lift hyd cam.<br />69 z/28 alum high rise.<br />69 z/28 780 vac sec holly carb.<br />4 bolt mains,steel crank,forged flat top pistons.<br />Turbo 350 2800 stall with shift kit.<br />3:73 12 bolt posi.<br />functional ZL2 cowl induction hood<br />gear vender O.D.<br />13.2 in the 1/4 with slicks and open headers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 08, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Re: drivers side tail light not as brite as passenger side

Might be the ground, but not likely if the turn signals work correctly. You might remove the lenses and wash the insides of them, and see that the inside of both housings are the same color. Also, white reflects light better than any silver paint. If you don't believe that, ask any painter what all colors are used to mix up silver paint.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 08, 11:25 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
i have changed all 3 plugs/sockets on
Did you solder the wires into/on the connectors inside the sochet unit..espec the black ground wire....as check the other end, I believe it grounds to the body on or beside the strut that holds the trunk catch.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 08, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

thanks Jonn......i have changed both lenses with brand new ones but didnt really pay attention to the color inside the housings. i do remember that the paint inside wasnt that great......they are painted silver? right? this is what you are trying to say? that i could paint the one thats not that brite...white?? my signals work fine.

thanks steptoe....ill check the ground by the trunk catch. does it ground anywhere else do you know? the new sockets came from GM with pigtails so im assumming there soldered together properly.

69 Camaro RS/SS 350.<br />GM 2.02 angle plug heads.<br />223 dur/480 lift hyd cam.<br />69 z/28 alum high rise.<br />69 z/28 780 vac sec holly carb.<br />4 bolt mains,steel crank,forged flat top pistons.<br />Turbo 350 2800 stall with shift kit.<br />3:73 12 bolt posi.<br />functional ZL2 cowl induction hood<br />gear vender O.D.<br />13.2 in the 1/4 with slicks and open headers
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 08, 01:42 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

When I restored my tail lights last body rebuild...
I cleaned and degeased the reflector surface inside and use some of that model chrome aersol paint...still like new
I also used to do the high lights on the dash...spray a bit into the lide and used a cotton bud cearfully draged along the raised bits....again degreased and wiped with thinners 1st.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 08, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech

Check the voltage drops in each leg of the headlamp circuit. Meaure battery (-) to the ground pigtail. You should see less than 0.1 volt. Then measure battery (+) to each hot feed (low and high beam). Again you should see less than 0.1 volt.

Do these tests for each side. If your numbers all come out less than 0.1 volt, there is something different about the headlamps themselves. I suspect you'll find one of those tests gives you a higher reading which indicates a bad connection in that circuit.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 08, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

dnult....its my drivers side tail light.......not my head lights.

steptoe..........thanks for the tips.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 08, 09:57 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Same principle for the tail lights, and whil u have the multi meter out check for resistance from the gound to the body.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 08, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by z/27 camaro View Post
dnult....its my drivers side tail light.......not my head lights. .
Head lights, tail lights, bud lights...one of these things is not like the other one.

Point being that a voltage drop test is fool proof. It does seem weird to measure something and call a near zero result good. When you've got two of the same thing that are not working the same, things get even simpler.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

it was the inside of the taillight.... the reflector surface that was my problem. on one side the paint was falling off and a wee bit different color. so i re-sprayed both an argent silver......now both lights are the same brightness when driving behind the car in the dark.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode