How to wire car to use a 120v outlet to run stereo? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 08, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

How to wire car to use a 120v outlet to run stereo?

We currently have a 1988 Camaro that has been modified to look like a police car with lights and sirens. It also has a pretty nice stero installed by car toys. This car is for a non-profit called "Code 3 Response" and we take it around to shows and events for the kids to see, we will also be racing it at Banidemer for the Colorado State Patrol, Take it to the Track events.

My question is can anyone help me out with wiring the car somehow to allow us to plug the car in at events to a 120v normal outlet and run the stereo and lights without draining the battery?

Thanks, Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 08, 02:04 PM
Senior Tech

Re: How to wire car to use a 120v outlet to run stereo?

Put a big AC powered battery charger on it.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 08, 02:10 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

or http://www.nextag.com/12v-120v-inver...78F01C9C17B9B7

'69 SS X66 Camaro
454, TH400 & GearVendor, 12 bolt
'82 Corvette.
stock
'81 Camaro Pro Bracket car.
406, TH350, 10 bolt, NHRA #3148

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 08, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Vettrin View Post
Those inverters are for running 120V appliances from 12V, he's trying to do the opposite. A battery charger is what he wants. The downside to battery chargers is that most of them put out really dirty/noisy power, and may cause interfence on the stereo. I'd try a battery charger first and see how the noise level is, and then go investigate better/cleaner power supplies if needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 08, 08:58 AM
Senior Tech

I'm with Jon on this one. Try the charger first and if you don't have an 60 cycle hum then you've found the simplest and cheapest way of doing what you want. The battery will act like a giant capacitor and may eliminate any hum problems.

Astron makes some pretty decent regulated power supplies if you need cleaner power.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 08, 09:38 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I'd forget about trying to use commerical AC, it's just not going to be available to you at every show and event you go to. Do like the boomers, show tuners and RVers do and get batteries designed to support long hours of use between recharging.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 08, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Being an ham radio operator, I had not too many years ago a great big 1500w RF-HF amp in a car. I bought a Sears Diehard marine battery (they are designed to deep cycle without damage) , installed in parallel with the existing charging system, and a blocking diode inline. The diode prevents any auxillary components from draining your primary car battery, but it will allow the alternator to charge the aux battery. Worked great.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 08, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
Those inverters are for running 120V appliances from 12V, he's trying to do the opposite. A battery charger is what he wants. The downside to battery chargers is that most of them put out really dirty/noisy power, and may cause interfence on the stereo. I'd try a battery charger first and see how the noise level is, and then go investigate better/cleaner power supplies if needed.
U R correct Jon,, my bad on that link..
what I had in mind was this, like an RV uses:
http://www.progressivedyn.com/prod_d...pd9245c_2.html
I linked before I thinked ..
he could find an RV salvage yard and pick one of those up for practically nothing.. they filter the current to avoid noise, and monitor the battery level to prevent overcharging...
taking into consideration the availibility of 110v at the shows where he intends to go, as Dennis mentions.

'69 SS X66 Camaro
454, TH400 & GearVendor, 12 bolt
'82 Corvette.
stock
'81 Camaro Pro Bracket car.
406, TH350, 10 bolt, NHRA #3148
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 08, 08:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

A continuos duty solenoid between two batteries will allow you to run the secondary battery completely dead and still start the car. The solenoid needs to energize with ignition current and the lights and stuff wired to the secondary battery only. When the car is started the solenoid pulls in and charges the secondary battery. I've done this on a few trucks with slide in campers.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode