RS headlamp doors: the final step in troubleshooting is it the motors? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 08, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage
RS headlamp doors: the final step in troubleshooting is it the motors?

First of all I have read as many posts and purchased as many books and manuals that I could get my hands on.

The problem: My headlights work but the RS headlamp doors do not open.

I have been working my way though the headlamp door diagnosis and everything seems to be ok so is it my motors? Am I missing a ground somewhere?

What works:
Relay 1 clicks with the test and functions correctly.
Relay 3 does not click with test and has power so it functions correctly.
I have power to the horn relay junction, power to the red and orange wire on the circuit breaker and power to the Relay 1 orange wire.
I also have power to and through the radiator support limit switches.

What does not:
I have no power to or through the headlamp limit switches.
Doors do not open.

I have pictures of everything... if someone could walk me through this over the weekend please PM me with a phone number or answer this post.

Thanks!

Vince
69 Base Coupe "The Wrecker" Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 rs/SS L48 4spd Convertible -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SOLD

Last edited by vincevs; Nov 1st, 08 at 08:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 08, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage
Re: RS headlamp doors: the final step in troubleshooting is it the mot

Ok so is this the correct ground to the firewall becuase I do have a proper ground here.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/IMG_0075.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/IMG_0076.jpg

Where is the black ground wire from Relay 3 that is discussed in the diagnosis material? I only see a black wire from relay 1 and 2 or do I have them flipped? 3 should be the relay between the other 2 right?
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/IMG_0072.jpg
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/IMG_0074.jpg

Vince

- SOLD
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 08, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Bump... help... anyone?

Vince

- SOLD

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 08, 09:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Sorry Vincent I wish I could help. I bypassed everything and installed a retro-electro motor kit in my 67. I'm sure someone with the right knowledge can shed some light for ya...good luck

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

73 Camaro project in a million pieces
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 08, 10:58 PM
Tech Team
Shawn

Vince

Mark has a lot of useful info on diagnostics, you might already have this. I'm attaching a link to his website. www.retro-electro.net

I would like to help you more but I didn't have the relay board in mine or the wiring harness. Had to order both of them. One of my motors was shot. The motors I ordered from Mark work but I haven't had time to install the harness/relays. I can send you a troubleshooting sheet I found on relays if you want.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 08, 12:24 AM
Senior Tech

I would test each relay one by one for proper operation. I had one relay that was bad out of the box and had to be replaced. Can't always assume every component is in working condition out of the box.

Also, you can check the motors just by running 12 volts straight to them.

If you need a step by step explanation let us know, I can explain tomorrow, getting late and I'm tired. Moral of the story... test each component in the RS system one by one to find where your problem is.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 08, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Thanks Aaron and Gary, I have the trouble shooting guide and I am stuck at one of the last steps so I guess I have to assume it is the motors. I will also try to talk to mark. Thanks!

Vince

- SOLD
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 08, 09:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

You could jumper the system and put 12V from battery on each motor to see if it runs as suggested.

Or insert a small wire (or several strands twisted together of a stripped wire) into the connection clip at motor. Hook on to voltmeter with alligator clip...Energize and see if there is 12V at the motor(s)...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 08, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Ok... looks like I got relay 2 and relay 3 mixed up. Relay 3 is the one with the black wire and relay 2 is the one missing a wire from the 3 wire connection. Relay 3 does not have power to the connectors so I'll replace the relay and hope for the best. I'll keep you updated.

Once I get this done I am going to build a "pictoral diagnosis" so that we can all get this fixed up right... come to think of it, maybe I should leave that to an expert. Any takers?

Vince

- SOLD

Last edited by vincevs; Nov 2nd, 08 at 08:33 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 08, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Ok well that didn't fix it... Is my wiring switched around here... look at the difference between my picture and the other one I found on another post.
Mine...
Other...
http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...urrent=004.jpg
I'll try flipping them around tonight... looks like someone was playing around with this a bit before I got to it...

Vince

- SOLD
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 08, 04:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

My pic wiring looks like yours Vince. Maybe someone fiddled with the wiring on the picture you were sent. Only difference mine were burned up a tad.

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 08, 04:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

I dug up my pic: I dont use the relays since I swapped out to the Rero Electro kit but they are still under my fender. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 088.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	8440  

Gary

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 08, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Thanks Gary!
Ok so I got the relays set up and tested the motors. They do not work. Looks like I am in for some new ones. Has anyone tried having the originals rebuilt? Mine are date coded and it would be nice to keep them.

Vince

- SOLD
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 08, 09:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

If your talking about the motors replace them with new ones that are far superior and keep the old ones.

Gary

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 08, 06:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Hi Vince- Looks like you guys solved it but I wanted to speak up and throw in my .02 since my pic is the one listed as "other". I think yours are correct and my relays 2 and 3 are transposed. It won't change the operation however since both 2 and 3 trigger at the same time. If you are testing your motors out of this circuit with only 12V and Gnd on each and get no activity, I'd say your correct that your motors are frozen/bad in some way.

Cheers, the rest of the fix should be pretty straightforward. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincevs View Post
Ok well that didn't fix it... Is my wiring switched around here... look at the difference between my picture and the other one I found on another post.
Mine...
Other...
http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...urrent=004.jpg
I'll try flipping them around tonight... looks like someone was playing around with this a bit before I got to it...

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode