HELP, 67 LS1 won't start - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 08, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

HELP, 67 LS1 won't start

Well I'm getting ready to check power ( without starting the car)and I'm getting nothing from the starter wire( but I get 12 v at the bat terminal on the starter). I get nothing at the ign switch ( but 12 v on the red wire on the ign sw.) On the fuse box I get all the power at the fuses, but again nothing at the purple wire. The engine is from a 2000 T/A WS6 32,000 miles. Could it be a bad solenoid? With a bad solenoid, would you get 12v on the big bat connector o the starter? The ign switch wires look pretty bad but the only wire from the bulkhead that doesn't have power in ign/start position is the purple wire. I even bypassed the neutral safety switch ( connecting the purple /white wire to the purple ) still nothing. I need help guys . Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 08, 09:49 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder
Re: HELP, 67 LS1 won't start

where are you checking the purple wire?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 08, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
where are you checking the purple wire?
I checked the purple wire 1. at the starter 2. at the fuse box and before the NSS/PS I tied the 2 ppl wires together. Still nothing.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 08, 10:02 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

and you are checking it while holding the key in the START position? and all of the RUN circuits are hot in the RUN position? If so, sounds like a bad igintion switch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 08, 10:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Is VATS disabled?

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 08, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
and you are checking it while holding the key in the START position? and all of the RUN circuits are hot in the RUN position? If so, sounds like a bad igintion switch.
That is in the ON position.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 08, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

That's the part I don't get, if it's the IGN sw wouldn't I get power at the bulkhead connector? I'm getting nothing anywhere at all points of the ppl wire( from starter to IGN sw . Shouldn't that be the solenoid ?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 08, 08:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Your trying to get power to the solenoid. The solenoid has nothing to do with your problem. The problem is where the purple wire gets its power. I dont have a wiring schematic in front of me so I am no help. Maybe someone else has one.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 08, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
Your trying to get power to the solenoid. The solenoid has nothing to do with your problem. The problem is where the purple wire gets its power. I dont have a wiring schematic in front of me so I am no help. Maybe someone else has one.
I actually have not wired the ecm at this point. I want to make sure that everything is OK before wiring in the ECM( not sure of the back up protections that the harness has). I think it sounds like a bad IGN switch as well. At the switch I'm only getting juice on the red wire on the switch ...when in on position.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 08, 10:35 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx74ls6 View Post
That is in the ON position.
the purple wire only has power in the START position.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 08, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
the purple wire only has power in the START position.
I'm now getting a weak 11 v reading at he IGN switch in the start position. I hear a couple of clicks( again the ECM , fule pump aren't hooked up ) at the starter. Reading is not strong , I'll go in tomorrow and clean the contacts at the bulkhead, and add another ground. I should be getting a strong 12v at the IGN switch ,right??
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 08, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I got it running!!!! Couldn't wait for my buddy to come over tomorrow night( he's my tuning guru). He'll remove the VATs ( vehicle anti theft) , but I got my 2-3 sec. of uncorked melody. I tested the fuel pump yesterday and it was cycling perfectly, hooked up the computer today ....tomorrow it'll be officially alive , can't wait. Thanks guys for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode