Another neutral safety switch question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 08, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Another neutral safety switch question

I realized last night that my 6-speed (T56) does not have an integral neutral safety switch like I thought... I guess I must've confused the 5-speed (TKO) with the 6-speed. Looking at what I've got to work with and taking into account that I have a very strong desire not to disassemble the pedal assembly I finally decided that the easiest solution would be to fab a bracket to hold a switch at the clutch clutch pedal. It looks pretty straight forward except for some fairly tight access issues (I'll have to stretch my muscles before attempting this). I plan on using the same type of switch that I used on the brake pedal for this function. My question is this: Can this switch be simply hooked up in series (and handle the current) or does this switch need to feed a relay? I've looked through quite a few posts on this and other site and I'm pretty sure that it will handle it but I just wanted to make sure before I button everything up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 08, 08:03 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Another neutral safety switch question

A brake light switch is not set up to handle the current from the ignition switch; just look at the difference between the wire gage of the purple and purple/white ignition wires (12 gage in and out) and the orange (14 gage) and white (20 gage) brake light wires.

I'm a little confused about the "wire in series" part of the question too. The clutch safety switch will just go in line in place of the factory neutral safety switch; it should have the 12 gage purple/white coming in from the ignition switch and the 12 gage purple from the starter coming out. It is not in series with any other switches.

A relay is needed on a TKO if you use the TKO's NSS; for what you're doing, no relay is needed if you use the right clutch switch.

You need to use either a clutch safety switch from a later car (I have no idea how they are mounted and triggered), or just use a 69 setup. If you search "clutch safety switch" here you should find pics of my OE setup, and there are threads about other guys backfitting the 69 setup to their cars.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 08, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Re: Another neutral safety switch question

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll will look for a clutch safety switch to use instead of using a brake light switch (I thought that they may actually be the same switch). I'll have to look into the physical size of the clutch switch because I am extremely tight on space in that area. If I can't fit it in the space then I'll go ahead and use a brake switch and drive a relay with it (since I can mount the relay anywhere under the dash).
As far as the "wire in series" part of the question, "series" is an electrical term to denote "in-line" wiring of a switch as opposed to "wiring in parallel" which denotes wiring along side of something (switch, resistor, etc).... that's about all I remember from my DC circuits class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode