Help me build my stereo system! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 08, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Lightbulb Help me build my stereo system!

First off, its a 1969 Camaro. The car isn't stock as it does have a built BBC, suspension and brakes. But I am trying to keep the exterior and interior looking as stock as possible. With that said, my goal is a nice sounding stereo system with AUX input for an IPod. I'd like to run some decent sized speakers that sound good but in the factory locations (ie no speaker boxes or sub-woofers in the trunk). Just a nice sounding original looking system with modern IPoD hookup.

So far doing research seems to point to something like this - Antique Automobile Radio:

http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/newradio0F.htm#camaro

TC thread the above radio:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=130127

Coupled with something like this for kickpanel speakers:

http://www.firewheelclassics.com/sto...D=&SKU=KP-69WS

Anyone have any experience with the kickpanels on the 69 from Firewheel?

Want to put some good speakers in the rear package tray (6x9s sound like they fit right?). Any suggestions on a good brand that sounds and fits nicely?

Not sure if I should upgrade the dash speaker as well, maybe one of the Kenwood duals from Classic:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000136b~Z5Z5Z5AABLZ~ P89.95~~~~~~~F

Anyone have any experiences with a decent/good sounding center speaker? Or is it overkill with kick-panel and rear deck speakers?

Not really set on anything other than the general direction of trying to keep things looking stock but still be able to listen to my IPOD. Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated, especially on speaker selection / fitment. Not opposed to running an amp especially to get 6 speakers, just nothing crazy, I don't need that boom boom you hear coming from some cars, on my car it will be the engine

Thanks in advance!

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 08, 09:28 AM
Senior Tech
John

Re: Help me build my stereo system!

Ed,
I'm in the process of designing my own sound system also for a 69. I'm going with a biamped system. Probably 2 amps and a sub on the panel behind the rear seat back (not the package tray). One amp is for the sub and the other for the rear speakers (and maybe the fronts). I bought the Kenwood center speaker and am kind of sorry I did and considered sending it back. Because all it is is a piece if black plastic with 2 3inch speakers mounted in it and a metal bracket. I could have easily made the plastic piece and the metal bracket. But I kept it and installed it adding rubber weatherstrip around the edges as it mates poorly to the "underdash" grill. As far as kickpanels go, those look like good units. My kickpanels had aftermarket 6inch round speakers and they had to add spacers to mount the speakers about 3/4 inch out (maybe 1 inch total w/ grill)-probably to keep frame of speaker from hitting 4X6 cutout in factory metal. The speakers sticking out were too close to the e-brake pedal-almost touching. So check out how much those new units stick out. 6inch round speakers will sound better than 4X6 ovals. Also, I will put appropriate bassblockers (high pass filters) to the center-dash and kick panel speakers so they don't get too much bass. I'm also looking for a place to put some tweeters. Maybe above the 4X6's in the kick panels. 6X9's in the rear deck are good back fill units.
Just some thoughts on a sound system in a 1st gen. Good luck!
John
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 08, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Thanks for the info John!

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 08, 07:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

This is what I did kinda plain...

PRO.ST69orange

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 08, 07:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

That all looks good above.... But if you don't want to go crazy, then run up front in dash a couple 4x4 Focals, rear dash a couple of good 6x9 all powered with 1-4 channel amp and it will still rip pretty good. I did this but added a custom built box for a 10" sub and it all sounds clean ( not radical like your BBC)... But you don't need the sub and it will still be a nice set up, in my opinion the kickers are a nice addition if you want to add some good clean power.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 08, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by david calligan View Post
This is what I did kinda plain...
You must be joking, looks pretty awesome. Really like what you did with the kickpanels:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
That all looks good above.... But if you don't want to go crazy, then run up front in dash a couple 4x4 Focals, rear dash a couple of good 6x9 all powered with 1-4 channel amp and it will still rip pretty good. I did this but added a custom built box for a 10" sub and it all sounds clean ( not radical like your BBC)... But you don't need the sub and it will still be a nice set up, in my opinion the kickers are a nice addition if you want to add some good clean power.
Yeah I'm thinking replacing the dash speaker with one of those Kenwood dual models, either doing the Firewheel classics kick panels, or modifying my existing panels for 4x6s and putting in some 6x9s in the rear. Maybe stick an amp underneath the passenger seat. Use the radio to drive the dash speakers and a 4 channel amp to drive the kickpanels and rear deck speakers. Thinking of maybe going with Polk Audio for speakers and amp.

Thanks for all the ideas!

Ed

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 08, 11:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock1969RS View Post
You must be joking, looks pretty awesome. Really like what you did with the kickpanels:

Yeah I'm thinking replacing the dash speaker with one of those Kenwood dual models, either doing the Firewheel classics kick panels, or modifying my existing panels for 4x6s and putting in some 6x9s in the rear. Maybe stick an amp underneath the passenger seat. Use the radio to drive the dash speakers and a 4 channel amp to drive the kickpanels and rear deck speakers. Thinking of maybe going with Polk Audio for speakers and amp.

Thanks for all the ideas!
My buddy that helped me tune my sterio said that rear speakers are realy not needed if you have decent fronts I still put some rear speakeres in some boxes like the front kick panel boxes I made.I paid $700 for everything 10"sub,speakers,head unit,and two amps and my buddy came with a electronic device with a CD's he put in to check all the palrity's of the speakers I have never heard of tuning a sterio like this but he made my sterio sound like I paid more than $700 for it. Thank you for the compliment on my stuff I have never made boxes like this before it was quite a chore for me.Also if you do a sub box make sure it is air tight or it can damage the sub.When the sub is in stalled push down on the black spung part of it and it should come up slow not bounce right back if it bounces this is what causes the damage.You may be aware of all this just thought it may help..

PRO.ST69orange

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 08, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Hey Dave,

I wasn't really planning on a Sub, do you think it really made that much difference? I'm not really looking for a super loud system, just one that I can enjoy on cruise over the engine and road noise. I'm not huge fan of the super boom boom, but I have never had a car with a sub in it either.

Ed

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 08, 12:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock1969RS View Post
Hey Dave,

I wasn't really planning on a Sub, do you think it really made that much difference? I'm not really looking for a super loud system, just one that I can enjoy on cruise over the engine and road noise. I'm not huge fan of the super boom boom, but I have never had a car with a sub in it either.
I am 47 yrs old and realy didn't think I needed a sub but it does add some sound to it.Have you ever listened to the overhaulin song this is what convinced me.Even some country songs have some bass in there music to each his own though the kids think its cool though....

PRO.ST69orange

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 08, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Hmm I wonder where I can hide a Sub then . Maybe under the backseat.

Ed

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 08, 10:09 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

My system, it has worked well and sounds good, will make your ears ring.
This is in a daily driver. I installed the amp in the trunk under the package tray.

these speakers in the dash

http://www.rickscamaros.com/product....dept%5Fid=3105

This head unit with the 10 disc cd player. You can hook an ipod or other aux component to it (comes with the cable). Has fader, balance, CD changer controls, seperate bass and trebel. The radio lighting is not too bright.
I like the custom auto sound, it uses rca's ( 4 channel)to hook to the amp.
I do not like the cheap plastic knobs, though.

I had a harrison 200w before, the lighting was way too bright, and didn't have 4 channel output. That radio had a story behind it and I would NOT recommend buying it.

http://www.rickscamaros.com/product....dept%5Fid=3104

these speaker grills in the kick panels

http://www.rickscamaros.com/product....dept%5Fid=3105

these speakers in the rear

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086939...ty+6x9+speaker
this kick panel speaker

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_51400/4...speaker&tp=100

an MTX 4 channel, approx 400 watt amp. (I cant find a link for it).
I used the tuner to run the 2 center speakers, the amp powers the 6x9's and the kick panels.

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 08, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

Dale,

Thanks for the great ideas, sounds like exactly what I was thinking, good to hear it works well The Autosound works pretty good for you? How is the sound coming from the speakers in the dash that it drives? I was reading a lot of threads about how others didn't seem to like them.

Ed

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 09:54 AM
Senior Tech
Dale

The center speakers are only 4 " pioneers, they just add to the sound stage. Definately would not use them by themselves, they need the kick panel speakers.

I did cover the speakers in the dash with black cloth, so dirt doesnt fall into the cones.

I feel the system sounds very good.
I had a bass tube in the trunk at one time, but it was taking up to much room,. I ended up taking it out.
Dale

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ed

So the 6x9s in the rear deck provide enough bass? From reading threads for some it seemed they did, others seemed to prefer a sub in the trunk.

Ed

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 01:21 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Here are some pictures of my system.

Here are the doors:

Here is the trunk:

Here is the head unit. These are vidoes of the unit in motion:

The amps you can't see because they are bolted to a board bolted to the back seat divider. They are very powerful amps. One amp is a Rockford Fosgate X7 mono amp and the other is a Rockford Fosgate 750X 4 channel. All Rockford amps come with their version of a dyno sheet. It tells you the true output of the amp, not what they say it makes. As far as I know, Rockford is the company to do this and I have been around auto stereos for about 16 years. Most companies say their amps make 500watts, but they actually put out more like 200. The X7 makes 1667 and the 750X makes 993. The speaker in the dash has been removed and the rear speakers are MB Quart 6x9's. All the components are MB Quarts. There is a 1farad stiffening cap in the system and the power cable from the battery to the distribution block is 0 gauge. From the block, it goes to 2 gauge to the X7 and 4 gauge to the 750X. The ground cables are 2 gauge for both amps. The system hit 144.1 decibles at a contest.

Here are pictures of the dyno sheets for my amps.

If you look in the bottom left hand corner you can see the amp model number and the upper right hand corner is the actual power output.

You get what you pay for in the stereo industry. If you want your system to sound good, you need to spend a little money, but it will be worth it down the road. Better equipment lasts longer and produces better quality sound. If possible, buy amps with built in crossovers, but try to get a head unit that has crossovers in it as well. The more control over high pass and low pass you have, the more control over the overall sound you will have. Another thing for the head unit, the higher the preamp output voltage, the better the sound. When you are running your RCa cables, isolate them from ALL other wires, especially the power cables. RCA's pick up and amplify the slightest sound and it will be transmitted through your system as a high pitch wine that increases and decreases with RPM. Also, when you are running the cables for the amps, DO NOT use battery cable for power and ground. Automotive battery cable is thick strand cable. You need to use as thin a strand as you can find. If you want to protect you alternator, then you need a stiffening cap. It stores power in case your amp needs a sudden large amount. It pulls it from the cap and not the charging system. Then the alternator recharges the cap at a slower rate to protect it. Ground cables should be no longer than 15" and need to the same size as the amps power cable or larger. Use gold plated battery terminals and cable ends to transfer current as well as possible. For high power systems, use circuit breakers instead of fuses. I run a single 200 amp breaker on the inner fender shield. All your components should have their own crossovers. I don't want to sound snooty, but I just know my system in and out and I try to help people with their systems. Car audio is something I enjoy.

Here is a picture of the sheet from the contest:

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

Last edited by 67CamaroRS/SS; Dec 16th, 08 at 01:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode