A/C cutoff switch - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 08, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Kevin

A/C cutoff switch

Not sure where to post this, so I'll try here. I'm looking for some type of switch to cut my A/C off during full throttle application. I was at the PRI show in Orlando Saturday, and someone suggested either a proximity switch on my carb linkage or a vacuum operated style coming off the intake manifold. I've got a Holley 750, Vintage Air and AAW Classic update harness. Thanks, Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 08, 10:00 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: A/C cutoff switch

You could use a micro switch and wire it somewhat like a nitrous system.

Are you wanting to turn off the whole system (blower fan, AC electronic controls, and the compressor) or just the compressor ?.

If you add in a relay a signal from the micro switch would open either the whole AC circuit or just the compressor clutch circuit.

Basically terminal 30 on a relay would go to the power feed for the whole AC unit or to the output from the AC's electronics for the compressor. Terminal 87A would go to either power the AC unit or go to the compressor. With 30 and 87A being the normally closed contacts power will flow through the relay.
If you then jumper from terminal 30 to 85 on the relay and then run terminal 86 of the relay to a micro switch that when closed (and connects terminal 86 to ground) it will open the contact points 30 and 87A thus stopping current flow to either the AC unit or the compressor.

I would think a 30A relay would work for just the compressor but if the AC unit has a 40A fuse or larger for it you need to run a higher amperage relay so it will work properly.

If I had a preference, I would interupt power to the AC clutch as some electronic controls might not like being turned on and off rapidly.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 08, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Kevin

I was just wanting to cut the compresor off, not the entire system. Kevin

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 08, 06:51 AM
Team Member

You could use the switch on the throttle arm that is normally used for the cowl induction system.

TTFN
Mat

SSCARGO
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 08, 09:46 PM
Senior Tech
Dale

How about a turbo 400 kick down switch, also the carbed 1980's caprices had the ac cut off switch on the gas pedal under the dash.
dale

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Kevin

I found these at Summit. They may work.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 08, 01:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Derek

didn't some gm's come with a vacuum switch factory to do the same thing? wide open throttle, low vacuum, opens the electrical connection. would be easier to package. don't remember what years, models though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode