Car Starts, but not through ignition - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 08, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Car Starts, but not through ignition

Hello, I a new owner to a 67' camaro and am trying to work some of the initial bugs out of it. So here is the history of this gremlin, hope someone can help me. The car will not start by the key ignition inside as normal, but will from a remote starter hooked to the solenoid.

I initially got the car and it was running and starting normally through the interior ignition switch. For some reason (this car has MSD ignition on it) the msd box 6AL went out. So I replaced it and car had spark again but I could not get it to start from inside with the ignition. So, I put my remote start on the solenoid and the car fired right up, no problem. So I initially thought the key ignition was bad so I replaced it. Still it will not start from inside through the keyed ignition, it will crank and crank but no fire. However, it will start with the remote. I am out of ideas, I hope someone can help me out. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 08, 03:49 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Re: Car Starts, but not through ignition

check your ign fuse and see if it's burnt. Wire may need to be traced out to make sure its not cut or grounding. should go from switch to ign fuse at fuse block to msd box. If there is a resistor inline between the fuse and the msd you'll need to bypass it.

If the fuse is good and you have an ohm meter or test light.. turn the key to run and then check that you've got power going to the msd box.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 08, 07:25 PM
Senior Tech

The 1967 ignition switch did not keep the IGN line hot during crank. That is one of the reasons for the yellow wire from the starter soleniod to the coil. During crank, the starter solenoid provides the coil with 12Volts. It's not uncommon for other model years to experience the same issue if a 67 ignition switch is used. 68 and 69 model years fixed the ignition switch problem, but retained the yellow wire for a hotter spark. Sounds like your yellow wire is missing.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 08, 08:37 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

With the MSD 6 box the yellow wire from the solenoid to the coil goes away.. All power to the coil comes straight from the box on an orange wire and black for the ground side of the coil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 08, 08:39 PM
Senior Tech

Check your neutral saftey switch and wiring
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 08, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I will run through the wiring tomorrow and let you know what I found. Like you said, there is no wire to the coil, the power all runs through the msd box. What about this neutral safety switch? This is a 4 speed, I have no experience with that at all. Any pointers on how to check it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 08, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

if its got the neutral safety switch, look for a pair of purple wires under the dash that drop down to the tranny on the drivers side. From what I recall, an NSS was not standard on a 67, but if the tranny was changed it may be there.

If it is there, it could be loose on the bracket or bad, only way to check is with a meter. Place the leads on either side of the switch and then depress the button on it that contacts the shifter arms and see if the button closes the circuit or not.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 08, 03:38 PM
Senior Tech

THe NSS only affects cranking not running. If the starter motor spins, the NSS is fine. Focus on the ignition switch. Put a test lamp on the IGN terminal. Try to crank the engine. If the test lamp goes out the ignition switch is the problem. Either trade up to a 68 / 69 ignition switch or retain the yellow wire - regardless of the ignition type.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
electrical, ignition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode