Need Help! Starting problems - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Need Help! Starting problems

ITs a 95 Camaro with the 6 cyl engine. Ran fine up to about 6 months ago. IT was parked for a while in order to get some work done. Started it and it ran for a while. Brought it back to the garage and parked it. When we went to fire it up again and it wouldn't turn over. Now, everything will light up, but it won't turn over or do anything. This is what we've done so far:
-Changed the lock cylinder b/c the tumblers wentbad, then had to change the whole steering column.
-New starter
-Battery's fine
-Got a new key made with the same resistor number
-checked the wiring

I'm lost. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 08, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Re: Need Help! Starting problems

How do you know the battery is good? Have you had it tested on a machine? Just because the interior lights light up does not mean the battery is in good enough shape to turn the engine over. Take your volt meter and place the leads across the battery terminals, then have someone turn the key. The battery should have AT LEAST 12v in it before you turn the key. While the key is turned, the voltage should not drop below 10.5v-11v.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 08, 12:26 AM

Have you checked the alternator, if you can pull that off and have it tested as well, 67 is right have your battery tested

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 08, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Suggested battery check is good advice.
When you turn the key to START, any clicks heard?
A small click tells says the starter relay is making and starter but starter solenoid is not.
A loud click says the starter solenoid is working, but the starter motor is not.
Cable connections at both ends of the connected battery cables should be clean.
Have a Haynes manual?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 08, 06:50 AM
Senior Tech
rick

could be your anti-theft module doesn't reconize your resistor key. i have a 97 monte carlo and had the same problem here is what i found there are 2 small white wires that go to your ignition switch that read the resistor in your key. 1 of my wires broke and the car would not start.( common for them to break on tilt wheel cars) cut the 2 wires and strip them out. (strip the 2 wires going to the theft module not the ones up to the ignition switch) then get your original key and hold the wires on each side of the metal tab in the center of the resistor and with your other key try to start the car.you are faking out the module with your old resistor.if it starts your new key resistor is wrong or your wires up to the ign. switch are broke.a cheap fix is you can solder the old resistor key right to the 2 module wires tape it up stuff it under the dash and you are good to go! it was a very intermitent problem once or twice a year after a new starter and battery didn't fix it i started looking at the anti-theft crap on the car

Last edited by bikesnbroadheads; Dec 25th, 08 at 06:55 AM. Reason: more info
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 09, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
How do you know the battery is good? Have you had it tested on a machine? Just because the interior lights light up does not mean the battery is in good enough shape to turn the engine over. Take your volt meter and place the leads across the battery terminals, then have someone turn the key. The battery should have AT LEAST 12v in it before you turn the key. While the key is turned, the voltage should not drop below 10.5v-11v.

Yes. I work at an auto parts store. i took the battery in and had it tested. Also checked the alternator. All Good
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 09, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Suggested battery check is good advice.
When you turn the key to START, any clicks heard?
A small click tells says the starter relay is making and starter but starter solenoid is not.
A loud click says the starter solenoid is working, but the starter motor is not.
Cable connections at both ends of the connected battery cables should be clean.
Have a Haynes manual?
There's nothing. No Clicks, nothing. you turn it, and it just lights up and laughs at you. i swear. lol.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 09, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesnbroadheads View Post
could be your anti-theft module doesn't reconize your resistor key. i have a 97 monte carlo and had the same problem here is what i found there are 2 small white wires that go to your ignition switch that read the resistor in your key. 1 of my wires broke and the car would not start.( common for them to break on tilt wheel cars) cut the 2 wires and strip them out. (strip the 2 wires going to the theft module not the ones up to the ignition switch) then get your original key and hold the wires on each side of the metal tab in the center of the resistor and with your other key try to start the car.you are faking out the module with your old resistor.if it starts your new key resistor is wrong or your wires up to the ign. switch are broke.a cheap fix is you can solder the old resistor key right to the 2 module wires tape it up stuff it under the dash and you are good to go! it was a very intermitent problem once or twice a year after a new starter and battery didn't fix it i started looking at the anti-theft crap on the car
Yeah. We thought of that. I had a new key made with the right resistor number and checked the wiring. Someone said That although i got the right key made, the car may not be recognizing the code in the steering column. Not sure.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 09, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salaehya View Post
Yeah. We thought of that. I had a new key made with the right resistor number and checked the wiring. Someone said That although i got the right key made, the car may not be recognizing the code in the steering column. Not sure.
If the car has VATS, Security light is on, a new key does not mean it will work.

The socket in the tumbler has two leaves to contact the key chip to satisfy the VATS module. These two leaves are spinly in construction and lose the tension they are designed to have, then they don't 'read' the chip.

There two thin wires running down the column in the harness, I believe they are white in color and have a cloth sleeving about them, from the key socket. You can unplug the connector and read with the ohmmeter, the chiip resistance through the wires in the column. Meter reads infinity, bad socket.

Another route would be to place a bypass resistor in the harness to satisfy VATS, but then the theft prevention function is gone. Search for the site giving instructions.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode