I need your opinion guys! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 08, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

I need your opinion guys!

I started a new project this weekend. I'm relocating the voltage reg, horn relay and the 2 headlight relays on the drivers side to the mounting plate I fabricated. I'm taking them off the radiator support. My question is. I installed all new connectors and fusible links. Every connection is grimped, soldered and heat shrunk.The plate that you see will be able to come off real easy with 2 bolts. Should I mount everything out of site on the inside of the plate( inner fender) or keep them on the outside (engine comp)? It would look much neater on the inside, but there are 2 fusible links in there also. I'm sure I could protect the other wires with electrical tape and loom if I had to. All you would see would be bolt heads. Would I have problem with heat in the inner fender? I would think it would be cooler.

On the pass side I have 2 realys for the fans that have 2 , 20a fuses that I would need access to if they blew. Once again 2 bolts and the panel will come right off.

What do you think I should do?

Oh before anyone asks....I need the space on both sides of the radiator for the intercooling tubes

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....

Last edited by mnm99; Nov 30th, 09 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 08, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

Thumbs up Re: I need your opinion guys!

I did something similar but I had originally had mine on the Engine side and then when I rewired the car I bolted the panel on with a piano hinge and I now tuck it away until I need to access it or want to show it off.

Tony:
67 RS Clone, 388 SBC/Keisler TKO 600/12 bolt, 3.90 gear w/posi and a 250 shot of N2O for fun. See my progress at: password is camaro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 08, 07:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: I need your opinion guys!

I like it, and would not have any problem hiding the stuff behind those panels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 08, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
I like it, and would not have any problem hiding the stuff behind those panels.
You don't think I'll have a problem huh. I have a bunch of Fatmat left. I think I'm going to line the whole inner fender area just to make sure no wires are rubbing on anything. I have an idea how to mount it all without seeing the bolts on the outside. I'll post pics...

Happy new year..... Wow weather just said 3-6 inches of snow...Wonderful!

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 08, 08:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I would also mount the relays on the back side. Only problem I would see is which way do you put the screws in. I would put the screw head towards the engine bay side and the nuts on the relay side. It would look nicer if it was smooth on the engine bay side.

I mounted my relays on the flat side of the wheel tub where the blinker light cable goes thru the tub. I like the plate better though.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 08, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
I would also mount the relays on the back side. Only problem I would see is which way do you put the screws in. I would put the screw head towards the engine bay side and the nuts on the relay side. It would look nicer if it was smooth on the engine bay side.

I mounted my relays on the flat side of the wheel tub where the blinker light cable goes thru the tub. I like the plate better though.
I'm going to mount eveything on the inside. I started fabricating a couple of pieces. There isn't enough room to fit all the stuff on the backside, but I figured out a way. And all the bolts are getting the heads welded to the backside. It will look nice and smooooth when I'm done.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 08, 01:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I like it too. Just might end up on my Camaro. This work reminds me of my sailboat wiring I did a couple of years ago. This is the control panel.
Closed up.

inside

Too much fun!

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 08, 03:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

Doesn't this run on wind,so what are all the wires for....

PRO.ST69orange

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 08, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by david calligan View Post
Doesn't this run on wind,so what are all the wires for....
Go ahead tell him ....LOL

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 08, 04:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I forget.

)
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 08, 04:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

OK. A little later view. I'm trying to recall,,,,,,,

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 08, 06:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Damn Fred you are forgetting alot when you get old.LOL

Your panel looks nice. I used to wire panels for offshore when I was younger. Now I sit behind a computer.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 09, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Here's some more progress. I have to bring it to powdercoating next.

Last edited by mnm99; Nov 30th, 09 at 05:06 PM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 09, 02:14 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Looks like a good idea.... might steal it .... hope you don't mind.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 09, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech
Tony

Thumbs up Re: I need your opinion guys!

Very Nice work. Looks better than my idea!

Tony:
67 RS Clone, 388 SBC/Keisler TKO 600/12 bolt, 3.90 gear w/posi and a 250 shot of N2O for fun. See my progress at: password is camaro

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode