67 camaro temp light stays on!!!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 09, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy 67 camaro temp light stays on!!!!!

MY 67 CAMARO TEMP LIGHT IDIOT LIGHT COMES ON AFTER ABOUT 2 MIN AND STAYS SOLID RED AND DOESNT GO OFF UNTIL CAR IS SHUT OFF. I pulled over to make sure car wasn't over heatring, and it isnt at all, no loss of water the engine isnt "excessively" over hott, i didnt touch the engine lol obviously i would still get burned lol, but no the engine is fine and the water isnt over flowing into the over flow or evaporating or anything, so i just dont know what it could be, maybe a fautly sending unit, or the theomstat itself is sticking or something?

Please advice me, it is pretty cold in the morning, 30s maybe that could have something to do with the electrical part going out, its been about 10 yrs since i have had the light come on during driving and the thermostat was bad but it was actually over heating, im not sure but if the thermostat were bad you would have a worse problem that your light coming on wouldnt yah, because if it were stuck than the car would over heat..

it about helping others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 09, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy temp light stays on 67 camaro

67 temp light stays on and will not go off unless the power is shut off.

could any1 please tell me what would cause this to happen? The car is not over heating, could it be the sensor, or the thermostat or simply a short some where?

it about helping others
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 09, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Greg

Re: temp light stays on 67 camaro

Replace the sender.
It is a simple SPST switch to ground that goes low at a predetermined temp., and obviously it is going low at a premature temp.

If the T stat were fused shut you would be blowing steam, and shorts do not usually clear themselves by cycling power.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 09, 08:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Start with the temp sensor...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 09, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

1 more question please, when i disconnect the 1 wire on the temp sensor isnt the light suppose to go off or this doesnt mean anything?

it about helping others
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 09, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS
Re: 67 camaro temp light stays on!!!!!

Have you replaced the temperature sending unit? This is usually found on the driver's side cylinder head or on the intake manifold. Is it possible for you to install a mechanical water temp gauge? They are reasonably priced and give you a much better idea of whats going on with your engine than the light in the instrument cluster.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 09, 11:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
kevin

yes the light should go out... trace the wire back and see if is shorted to the engine..maybe a bare spot by the manifold...or further back...that usually is what we have found..
kevin
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 09, 11:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Next time the light comes on, disconnect the wire from the sending unit.
If the light goes out, then either it really is overheated, or the sender is bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 09, 11:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

check the temp sending unit...if you love your car go with a mechanical guage..more reliable for the investment that you have....
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 09, 12:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
kevin

is this the same post as in electrical??
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 09, 12:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hmmmm?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 09, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Next time the light comes on, disconnect the wire from the sending unit.
If the light goes out, then either it really is overheated, or the sender is bad.
yes i disconnected it and the light still stays on thus there has to be a short some place ..

it about helping others
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

ok i think disconnecting the wire doesnt make the light go out, but if you ground the wire to the manifold and than have some1 look inside im thinking the light will go out.

it about helping others
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 09, 08:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmoose View Post
ok i think disconnecting the wire doesnt make the light go out, but if you ground the wire to the manifold and than have some1 look inside im thinking the light will go out.
The light is on when the sender wire is grounded, light out when it's not.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 09, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
The light is on when the sender wire is grounded, light out when it's not.

ok after replacing the sensor and buying a way bigger socket than what i had on hand to do it with, the light stayed on, i was driving around and i noticed my cigarette lighter pushed in, i never used it since i dont smoke and it doesnt get hot, anyways i pulled it out to the normal position and the TEMP light went out, push it in and the temp light light stays on hott, what the heck is going on? i just trew 30 bucks away and has coolant splashed in my face after taking the sensor out, i dont know i checked all fuses and they are all good etc, so somewhere there is a cross or a short or something i just dont see how the cigarrette lighter wire obviously has anything to do with the tempature sensor light in the guage .

it about helping others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode