AAW wiring to the battery - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 09, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

AAW wiring to the battery

I just wanted to confirm the battery connection with those that have done the Classic Wiring Update. According to what I am reading in the directions, there is no more junction box and no more horn relay next to the radiator. Just a red (going to the alternator) and a brown (going to the bulkhead connector) attached to the batttery terminal on the starter. Since thats quite a bit different, I wanted to make sure I am reading it correctly.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 09, 10:26 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Re: AAW wiring to the battery

Should have a fusible link and red wire to the alternator and yes a main power wire to the fuse block.(not sure on color) I can dig out my diagram if needed.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 09:24 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Fusible links are messy, I'd use regular fuse if possible, much easier to replace if ever needed.

I'm planning on adding a small fuse box in the rear of my car for Fuel pump, stereo (B+ keep alive), alternator etc and a couple other expansion slots for the future.

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

The alternator is the only wire with a fusible link on the new harness. Suppose due to high amperage. I have found there to be plenty of power feeds off the fuse block. I still have 2 unused. I did use my bulkhead at my firewall for my MSD box power since there is an internal circuit breaker, I also used it for the alternator instead of cobbling up the starter, and the main power for the fuse block. Basically the wires are in parralel from the bulkhead. The amp is wired from the battery in the trunk with circuit breaker and the remote wire to turn on the amp comes from the radio. I ran my fuel pump relay trigger with my tail light wiring and the main power, and two grounds to the battery wince it's back there. The relay is right on the trunk latch tower.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 01:16 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock1969RS View Post
Fusible links are messy, I'd use regular fuse if possible, much easier to replace if ever needed.

I'm planning on adding a small fuse box in the rear of my car for Fuel pump, stereo (B+ keep alive), alternator etc and a couple other expansion slots for the future.
I disagree. Trying to find a fuse and holder capable of handling more than 50 amps makes fuses an expensive option. Fusable links have their place and this is one of them IMHO.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 03:03 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I'm using the Classic update kit as well and have it all hooked up exactly the way they show it as far as the starter, alternator, ignition, etc. and it will not turn over with the key. The front & rear light wiring hasn't been done yet but all the engine wiring and under dash wiring to the ignition is in place. Am I overlooking something simple ? (yes I did put the fuses in the fusebox)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 03:42 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult View Post
I disagree. Trying to find a fuse and holder capable of handling more than 50 amps makes fuses an expensive option. Fusable links have their place and this is one of them IMHO.
They have some really nice high amp fuses called Maxi or Bussman fuses, available from 20 amps all the way to 300 amps:

http://order.waytekwire.com/scategory/M37/140/500
(250amp fuse shown)

If you ever had to replace a fuseable link you definitely wish there were other options and there are. Used some of the Maxi fuses when I wired up the engine stand to break in my motor really nice stuff, definitely worth looking into over fusable links.

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 06:28 PM
Senior Tech

AAW has some of those fuses available
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 07:33 PM
Senior Tech

Isn't the main power wire for the fuse block routed from the front light harness? (at least it is on the factory harness)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 07:52 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969SSBB View Post
Isn't the main power wire for the fuse block routed from the front light harness? (at least it is on the factory harness)
That would explain why I can't crank mine over with the key. I'll have to look into it more. Got wrapped up in bodywork & paint and got away from the wiring for awhile.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 08:36 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Is it a classic update kit or factory style?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 08:46 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Mine is the Classic update kit for a 67
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 09, 08:49 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
AAW has some of those fuses available
Oh, that is good to know.

Ed

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 09, 04:52 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheezer View Post
I just wanted to confirm the battery connection with those that have done the Classic Wiring Update. According to what I am reading in the directions, there is no more junction box and no more horn relay next to the radiator. Just a red (going to the alternator) and a brown (going to the bulkhead connector) attached to the batttery terminal on the starter. Since thats quite a bit different, I wanted to make sure I am reading it correctly.

thanks
Yes, that's the way the Update gets wired. I ran the heavy gage red alternator/charging feed wire from the starter back to the firewall (with the leads coming down to the starter), under the heater box cover (I just added a couple of extra clips like the one that holds the orange heater fan lead on top of the box), over the inner fender behind the outer fender, and then out from the battery area with the alternator light lead and ground wire.

AAW did explain to me why they chose to charge the battery through the starter connection (instead of going to the junction block behind the battery and then to the positive terminal), but the reasoning escapes me right now. If you're curious, give Donny Bock at AAW a call or email, and he can explain it.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode