Points to HEI wiring. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
ebd
Senior Tech
Eldon

Points to HEI wiring.

I know that they make a engine harness that has what I need but I already have new harness that is for points and I want to know about changing the coil connection to work for HEI. This is on a 67 FB conv. with a 74 455. Stock HEI dist.
My 68 Camaro had this mod already done when I got it. I did redo the whole car except the engine harness was fine and I don't want to untape the harness to see how far back the splice is and what is spliced.
There are two wires that are clamped into one electrical connector. One of them looks like a resistor wire, the other looks like a 12 or 14 ga. regular wire.
My question is , what next??
Do I need the resistor wire? Is this the only thing I need to change to convert to HEI?
Thanks
EB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 02:24 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Points to HEI wiring.

ditch the resister wire and run a bigger power wire to the ignition switch..
my favorite way to do it is to get a complete HEI power wire out of a later car in the junkyard and replace the stock resister wire completely with it. it looks and functions like stock that way.
but to do it properly, you will have to unwrap your shiny brand new harness to run the new wire- which isn't really a big deal once you get past the whole "I'm reworking a brand new harness" aspect of it...
another option that i've heard of would be to use the stock resister wire to trigger a relay in a wire that goes straight from the battery or alternator to the HEI. the relay could be hidden in an out of the way location where only you'd know it was there.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 02:26 PM
Senior Tech

Many of these new harnesses are made for both points and HEI. It sounds like you have one of them. You can cut off the resistor wire and use the regular wire to power your HEI or tape off the resistor wire coil terminal and tuck it away for later use if you switch back to points. With HEI you won't need the yellow wire coming up from the starter. That is for providing full voltage to coil during cranking on a points system.

'69 RS Camaro 355 5-speed 4.11

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
ebd
Senior Tech
Eldon

Thanks, I will check with the mfg. of mine and see if it is the type made for both.
EB
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 09, 07:02 PM

Take a look at the fuse box under the dash. There should be a terminal on there marked either IGN or IGNITION. Check that terminal for full battery voltage with the ignition key in both start and run. If that terminal has voltage in BOTH those positions, use it to power the HEI up. What I do is take the stock resistor wire terminal off the coil, tape it off, then, run a complete new 12 or 14 guage wire through the firewall, from that IGN terminal, to the BATT terminal on the HEI, done.

Dave Ray (IgnitionMan) has a picture of a stock fuse box with text on which terminal to look for and test. You might contact him at [email protected] and ask him for the fuse box picture.

Regards,

Milton
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 09, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
ebd
Senior Tech
Eldon

Thanks, I have been out of town for the weekend. I will check with him.
EB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode