Pertronics ignition upgrade? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 09, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Pertronics ignition upgrade?

I am looking to put a Pertronics ignition upgrade on my 70 LT-1 engine. Is this the best way to go with a stock distributor? I want to get the most out of the ignition system. I have a GM HEI with an Accel Super Coil on the car now and wish to go back to the original distributor. Will I be giving up anything by using the Pertronics upgrade? Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 09, 10:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: Pertronics ignition upgrade?

msd makes a ready to run distributer!! what is done on your car that you want to run a box?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 09, 10:29 AM

I just put the ready to run pertronics dist. in my 406 small block, I havent been able to drive it yet as there is to much snow here,But I have started it and it seem to run good + its easy to tune. A buddy of mine has just the upgrade in his stock gm dist,and he has no compaints. I like it because you can run a stock style coil. for an original look

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 09, 10:50 AM

Between the HEI and PerTronix, there are significant differences. Going the way you suggest, you will lose a bit.

An option would be to send your distributor to Dave Ray (IgnitionMan), and have it converted to a small body HEI. A picture is shown of a small/big block distributor done in his HEI conversion, is on Dave's site, davessmallbodyheis.com and he has more pictures and info on his conversions via his e/mail, [email protected]

I run a number of his conversions, no troubles with any of them.

Regards,

Milton
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 09, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I have a stock LT-1 and have had the HEI on it for years. It runs great. I still have the original points distributor and want to put it back in the car for the original look. I have heard different stories about the Pertronics no point upgrade. Good and bad. Will it give me the satisfaction that my HEI with the Accel Coil upgrade does? Can anyone give me their personal experience with the Pertronics upgrade?
Thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 09, 12:39 PM
Tech Team
Bud

I have used the pertronix pointless kit and also used their out-of-the-box distrib.
Both work well. Be sure to upgrade the coil though. I used a flamethrower 2 coil with both.
get a black coil and peel the label off, looks like stock.(as long as you don't get the silver coil, duh)
Between the 2, I llike the new pertronix billet distrib option better.
I was running this on my '70 Caprice w/ bored/balanced/blueprinted 454.
Hope this helps a little.
Peace.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 09, 01:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rene

I have a 1997 Pertronix Ignitor unit and works great no problems yet. You would be fine to install the unit in the original distributor for the stock look. I think they may have a Pertronix lll unit out now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 rs 350
M-20 4-speed
10 bolt 8.5 3.23

TC #24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode