Battery tender? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 09, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468
Battery tender?

I have a battery tender and it wasn't charging I took it back to where I bought it from and they said it was bad.They said there were new ones coming in,in a week.Before I bought the new one I had him check to see if it worked it did not as well untill he tried it with the aligator clips that come with it instead of a tester.He checked the one I had with the aligator clips and mine was ok as well.So with all this said can a battery tender be checked with a multi meter.The reason it wasn't working was it had a blown fuse the which brings the next question is what would blow the fuse.My buddy says not to start the car with the battery tender plugged in will this blow the fuse or hurt it.Sorry to be so long winded....and thanks in advance.

PRO.ST69orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 09, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
Matt

Re: Battery tender?

So I cant hook the tender jr to the car battery
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 09, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

I don't see why not...

PRO.ST69orange

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 09, 06:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

A battery charger should be connected to a battery before it is pluged into the outlet.

68 convertible
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 09, 06:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Disconnect the battery tender before you try to start the car. not doing that could blow the fuse. Many chargers won't power up unless there is a load connected.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 09, 10:13 PM
Senior Tech
bill

yes disconnect battery tender before starting car. battery tenders are only made to put out 5 amps or less depending on model. so starting car will blow fuse since it takes alot more amps than 5 to start a car. or if you put one on a car that has a dead battery allready it will blow fuse also
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 06:52 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

nOW i put it on my bike and hour later it was fully charged. I started it, with the charger on the batt. u think that it cld have caused damaged.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

My tender has a 3 amp fuse in it.I don't remember starting it with it on but I could have...

PRO.ST69orange

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 07:21 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Is the fuse blown?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

My fuse was blown and took the battery out had it checked took the tender to get checked all for a blown fuse....

PRO.ST69orange

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 08:34 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Street69Camaro468 View Post
My fuse was blown and took the battery out had it checked took the tender to get checked all for a blown fuse....
Gotta be short!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Its working fine now...

PRO.ST69orange

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 09:18 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Street69Camaro468 View Post
Its working fine now...

Operator error?
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 09:19 AM
Senior Tech
Lonnie

I've used them for years & I've found that you should not connect a Battery Tender to a battery that needs charged. Use a regular charger first to top off the battery. The tender will keep it fully charged over periods when the vehicle sits. My motorcycle battery lasted 8 years this way.

Do not try to start the vehicle with the tender connected. It can blow the fuse. Did it before myself... oops.

Personally I bought the quick connects that permanently attach to the battery.... no alligator clips to accidentally short out. Using these I never unplug the tender from the wall. Just disconnect from the vehicle, start it & leave. When I come home, just connect it back up. Yes, my tender has been plugged into the wall continuously for 10 years.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 09, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

This is the way mine is also I have close out panels in my trunk and I have the plug in under the rear tag.I just didn't think to check the fuse until I saw the new one and it reminded me there was a fuse.I started with about 11.9bamps and now has 13.6 and the tender is in the float mode.Now I think I can put my motor together.Thanks for all the input....

PRO.ST69orange

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode