Left turn signal indicator not working. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brett

Left turn signal indicator not working.

Getting ready to re-intall the dash carrier in my '69, but have one small glitch: I'm not getting any power to the indicator for the left turn signal . All the turn signals work on the car, just not the left indicator in the car. Bulb is good, not getting power to the light blue wire for some reason. Checked the grounds...nothing. All worked fine before it was removed (for cleanup/paint) Any ideas??
THANKS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Left turn signal indicator not working.

Follow wire back to steering column harness. Could be a broken crimp at the connector.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brett

I'll check that out. Hoping it's something simple that I'm overlooking.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Keep us informed if you need more help.
Follow the right side as a guide.
Could eb a bad socket for the light itself - no contact with ground to complete the circuit, but you said there is no voltage on the wire itself. Make sure you have a good connection with the voltmeter/test light in use.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brett

Just had a few minutes to tinker today. I forgot to mention that I put LED flashers in the car, but the problem is there with the old flasher as well.
At the steering column connection, I have nothing at the light blue wire, the dark blue wire flashes when the right signal is on, so I'm ok on my testlight ground.
I did notice that the left front signal marker outside the car was NOT flashing , but the rear was. I swear all the outside markers were flashing yesterday, but...could a bad bulb cause this?
Also when the left signal is on, the yellow wire at the column connection is flashing my test light, but no-go on the light blue.
THANKS!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 09, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Those little gremlins are out again..........Probably a bad ground at the lt frt. Swap bulbs to check bulbs to eliminate them.

Since LED bulbs, use a heavy duty flasher, I think a 552(?) as OE flasher, 512(?), depends on bulb resistance/load to flash - no complete set of bulbs on, no flash - not enough current being drawn to flash. But it seems the right side flashes as equipped presently, so I guess disregard my suggestion.

'
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 09, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brett

I won't be able to work on the car again until next week, heading to Kansas this weekend to pick up the next project.
When I get back, I think I'm gonna take all the LED back out of the car, put the original stuff back in and start from there. the 'Gremlins' seem to take a liking to my shop these days! I cleaned the ground in the L/F when I cleaned up the wiring at the rad. support a while back, but will check it again. I believe the root of most wiring problems is the result of a faulty ground.

The cars wiring was cut to put in a Covans dash panel, and I'm putting the factory carrier back in it. That marker worked when hooked to the LED signal light that was being used, but I did use factory terminals in my reconstruction, and I've got one side working fine...aaargh!

Maybe a couple of days away from it will do some good... fresh perspective. Thanks for your help, it's gotta be something simple.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 09, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brett

Got back on the car last night. Removed all the LED stuff, put in new flashers and bulbs. Problem still exists, no l/f signal and no signal light in cab. L/R works fine.
However, while messing with it, I found that if I push forward on the signal lever, while the lever is in the "left" position, everything works just fine. I have to keep pressure applied for it to work though. The steering wheel is off of the car, and I can see the plastic cam that the signal arm screws to flexing when pressure is applied. The cam is a replacement that I got from Ricks, installed using the instuctions. Right side works like a champ, any suggestions??
Thanks
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 09, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I might replace it with a SMP part, Standard Motor Parts, Co., and return Rick's if the replacement does work.

But, before I would do that, is there anything obvious with the present switch installed?
Are the contacts in place?
Is the plastic warped alittle?
Maybe Rick's forgot to package the heavy rubber band to attach between the t/s handle and headlamp knob...........

'
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 09, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brett

Well Sir,
Thank you so much for your help. Pulled the cam back out, wiped away some grease that had somehow found its way onto the contacts...problem solved. As a salute to you, I will make several left turns in your honor!!

When I called Ricks about the big rubber band missing, they said that must be a FORD part I was thinking of!!

THANKS AGAIN!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 09, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You're welcome, and yes, NASCAR season is starting - plenty of left turns.

I bet the assembler used the wrong grease.

'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode