How much gas? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 09, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Question How much gas?

I'll being installing a new gas tank and sender unit in my '69 tomorrow morning. How much gas do I need to put in to get a 1/2 tank reading?

I have checked the ohm readings on the sender. The sender reads 0 ohms at full drop and 94 ohms at full raised position. I just want to verify that the gauge is reading accurately. I'm prepared to realign the needle if needed.
If I do need to adjust the needle I think the 1/2 mark would be easiest.

It should about 65 degrees tomorrow in Vacaville.

How much gas?

Dave

Known to run with scissors....
1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 09, 08:53 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: How much gas?

Tank is 18 gallons full, so half a tank by volume is 9 gallons.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 09, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

Thanks Mark. I wasn't sure since you can never get the tank completely full. If the tank is completely empty can you get 18 gallons in it or is more like 16 1/2 gallons?

thanks,

Dave

1969 Camaro Z/28 "clone", GMPP ZZ383, Autogear M22W, Moser 12bolt w/TruTrac 3:73.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 09, 09:57 PM
Senior Tech

Gas gauges are more like "guidlines" than they are accurate instruments.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 09, 09:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Fred,

Have you thought about just hooking the sending unit up by itself with the ground attached. Then figure out where the half way mark is and see where the guage reads.

Like Dnult said it is used for reference. At least you could get a general idea of the 1/2 mark. You also will be able to check the empty and full marks.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 09, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I put in 9 gallons and got 3/8th of a tank reading on the gauge. I'm still thinking about resetting the needle.

I will change location of the ground @ the back of the tank first. There is a lot of undercoating and general dirt in that area. I'll find a good clean spot on the underbody or rear frame rail.

Dave

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 09, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Personally, I'd fill the tank and go from there. Mental note of gas added, then when indicating 1/2 tank, fill it and compare with original volume added. Seems to me capacity is 16 gallons.

As said, its not an exact science, just an indicator.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 09, 06:08 PM
Senior Tech

Even my 2002 Camaro uses the last half the tank faster than the first. Seems I can drive for 2 or 3 days between 1/4 marks on the upper half, but when I get below 1/4, it's time to fill up. I don't think you'll find too many cars on the road that accurately gauge the fuel in the tank.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 09, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

I ran into a bubby of mine this afternoon.( He had a similar issue with his '67 Elko.) I told him of my morning tank install and the way the gauge was reading. He gave me a resistor to put inline on the tan wire in the trunk. I did this mod. this evening. The gauge now reads 1/2 tank with 9 gallons of gas.

I think I'm as close as i will get. I didn't read the stripes on the resistor so I don't know what it's value is, Sorry

Thanks for all the tips,

Dave

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 09, 09:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Good info...

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 09, 06:53 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Drain the tank and see if you ever hit "E". Now that you've added a resistance to the circuit you might not make it.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 09, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave

This morning I pumped out 5 gallons of gas to see where that put the gauge. The gauge went down to just hair above empty. So at that point I should have 4 gallons of gas left in the tank. Hmmm... I refilled the tank with the 5 gallons I took out. Gauge is back to 1/2 tank.

I drove a mile and filled the tank. With a full tank the gauge is now pegged past the full mark.

This should be enough reference to keep me out of trouble.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode