'67 engine harness replacement - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 09, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
joe

'67 engine harness replacement

I'm going back to points from a hacked up HEI and am going to replace my engine harness on my 67. It is in pretty shaggy shape anyway. It is a power brake car and I will be doing the replacement with everything in the engine bay (a complete running car). I did see some great pictures of a 69 harness and one has to remove a bolt between the engine and light harness and pull both off of the firewall at the same time to get the engine harness off. Is a 67 the same way? I don't have my M&H harness yet and wanted to get a head start on getting the harness ready for complete removal. Pictures would be great. Did I mention it is a 67....Firebird. I did an exhaustive search on Performance Years and First Generation Firebird.org with no luck. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 09, 10:32 AM
Senior Tech

Re: '67 engine harness replacement

My 68 has a 7/16" bolt in the firewall harness connector that separates the way you described. I'm not sure if the 67 is the same. Seems like it is, but the bolt is different.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 09, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
joe

There also seem to be small tabs in each corner that may need to be depressed? I just don't want to break anything.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 09, 04:27 PM
Senior Tech

67 is different, one year only, and they commonly break if not removed correctly. That said, I am wracking my brain to think of how to search for a good thread, because "67" isn't recognized. Standby...

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 09, 06:52 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

No bolt between two plugs on 67. Pull the two connectors on the firewall by depressing the plastic tabs. They can be stubborn. Loosen the bolts on the inside of firewall and be gentle in removal as breaking the fuse block housing is commonly done. I have a spare if you need pics.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 09, 08:10 PM
Senior Tech
bill

are you changing both or just the 1 going to dizzy, starter, wiper motor,oil pressure and water temp. or doing other also. they just clip in at fuse block no bolts to remove. push in tabs and it comes out. the other harness goes to alternator, voltage regulater, horns, lights, turn signals, and junction box behind battery. but some mount it on other side and you need to take out passenger side headlight and holder to get to it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 09, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
joe

Thanks for all the input. I will only be replacing the engine harness. I can get my hand down to the harness to press the tabs and everything seems to be ready to come out. Do I have to pull both harnesses at the same time then seperate the two, or can I pull the engine harness by itself? I don't want to break anything... Did I mention that?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 09, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech
bill

1 at a time. just wiggle it around and it will come out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode