Advice for re-wiring my 69 BBC - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 09, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JB

Advice for re-wiring my 69 BBC

I've already hacked and cleaned up most of it, but I just don't trust those 40 year old wires and I'm looking for advice on what to buy, concidering the following:
Battery is in the trunk, I run a full MSD set up (6AL box and pro billet dist), going to a one wire alt (100 amps or more) run aftermarket single fan and I'm going to add an electric fuel pump.
I've seen the kit from American Autowire, looks good...if you're stock.
I've seen painless/summit harness with 12-18 circuit...looks like it could be alot of work but, it's 300 bucks cheaper and might allow me to do a clean install with the ignition system (and not cut a 540$ harness).
All of my plugs for headlights and such are in good conditions, and I'm leaning towards Painless, unless you all have a better idea.
Oh yes, factory stock appearance is of no concern to me.

ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 09, 09:23 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Advice for re-wiring my 69 BBC

Search "painless" here; some guys like them, many had issues.

I don't know what AAW product you looked at, but it sounds like their "Classic Update" series would be what you want. It is set up with many "extra" circuits (electric fuel pump, electric fan, etc.) that an OE style harness does not have.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 09, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JB

^ yes that the kit for $539

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 09, 03:39 PM
Senior Tech

You can usually pick it up for around $450 shipped on ebay or from one of their resellers like MuscleRodz (don't know what Mike's current price is though).

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 09, 04:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage2991 View Post
I've seen the kit from American Autowire, looks good...if you're stock. ideas?

Call American autowire....... I believe they can make whatever you want/need

bob
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 09, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

wiring kits are wiring kits... some have different options you will and won't have. Ask questions before buying. And using a 1 wire alt is the biggest mistake you will ever make if you want constant reliable voltage. Go look at this site, and read ALL of the electrical tech articles... their stuff WORKS! The link below is related to charging systems, lots of good info.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...hreewire.shtml

Sometimes it's better to let someone think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 09, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JB

^ cool read, looks like the 3 wire hook up is not hard to install at all...I'll keep a 3 wire then. Hopefully I can find one that's at least 100amps or more, my fan pulls close to 50A and I can't remember what the ignition is sucking up...

One question: what do you guys think of the summit/EZwiring kit that has the fuse box that looks like a new model one (commonly found on new vehicles and mounted to the inner-fender).
I'm not to "skurd" of wiring at all, so I don't mind the "cut and clip" part (did enough of that with the original harness already). I just want something brand new, with no risk of catching it on fire or some other non-sense...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 09, 05:30 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls427ss View Post
... some have different options you will and won't have..........And using a 1 wire alt is the biggest mistake you will ever make if you want constant reliable voltage.
.........No problems with my 1 wire alternator.......but that's just my opinion.

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 09, 09:08 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

American Autowire all the way, a vendors on this site offer the kit. With a bit of luck you can get it on sale. Very clean kit, I bought one and and am about to wire up my project.

Ed

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 09, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JB

ok, so my alternator wasn't charging, so I ended up geting a powermaster 3 wire, 106amps/74amps at idle.
I haven't touched the wiring yet, but I've noticed that my new fan (pulls 50ams) is making the engine drop 100-150rpm when it kicks on.
What would cause that drop? it didn't do it before with a less powerfull fan and my 60 amp alternator.
I'm still connected as a 3 wire with the resistor/sensing wire hooke up like it should...
I do have the battery out back (1000 cold cranking amp).
Could it be bad ground straps? I've just noticed that I don't have one on the motor (doh!).
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 02:18 AM
Senior Tech
Larry

the rpm drop is because of the load being placed on the alt... meaning it is working properly. No rpm drop means your charging system is non functional. The alt you bought will outcharge a 200 amp single wire unit if you hook the voltage sensing wire to the source of power to your accessories, based on the demand. Follow the guidelines @ MAD electrical word for word and you will be happening. I can make a 40 amp 3 wire outcharge any single wire 100 amp alt, and have won many bets proving it.

Sometimes it's better to let someone think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JB

^ ok thanks, I'll check the original manual on the wiring, but I do believe the resistance/sens wire is going to the ignition switch...
I'll follow MAD's instructions too.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 09:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

JB,

I have used the painless kit for the 69 camaro before. I had a few problems with them but it is just how to figure out how it should be wired. Between there manual and a factory wiring schematic you will be able to figure it out. I use the 3 wire alternator. No problems with it. It is wired for the internal voltage regulator. Read the mad electric how too's. What he says is correct.

I had my car wired different than the factory and with a 140amp alternator and was having charging issues at night with the lights on. I read the mad electric on charging systems and rewired it like the factory did and it cured my problems. I had my alternator #8 wire going directly to the battery in the trunk instead of all the wires tied together in the engine area. Once I changed the #8 wire in the engine part my alternator and charging system started working correctly.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JB

ok, so having the red wire coming off the regulator plug on the alternator hooking up to the gold post in the back of the alternator is NOT the way it should be wired, correct? If I understand correctly, that wire should go to my junction box (where I have my power wire to the fan relay).
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer View Post
You can usually pick it up for around $450 shipped on ebay or from one of their resellers like MuscleRodz (don't know what Mike's current price is though).
$485 everyday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode