How can I test my sending unit? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

How can I test my sending unit?

I ordered a new Spectra Premium Industries sending unit. I would like to test it before installing.

Here is what i am thinking:

- Ground the sending unit
- Hook the sending unit up to the gas gauge
- Power and ground to the gas gauge
- Lift the arm of the sending unit

Should that work? Thanks

1969 camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: How can I test my sending unit?

Yes.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 06:01 AM
Senior Tech
John

Why not just get an ohm meter and hook it to the swith, then move the arm and watch the resistance change.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 07:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkbrau View Post
Why not just get an ohm meter and hook it to the swith, then move the arm and watch the resistance change.
I think he wants to check the complete circuit, not just the sending unit. They way he is asking would check the guage, wiring, sending unit.

Do you have the factory guage and wiring in the car?

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

No, I don't - I'm trying to get it back to factory though. I am replacing an autometer fuel gauge with a OEM center fuel gauge from Rick's Camaros.

I've only been able to get a 1/4 tank reading when I hooked my existing sending unit up to the center fuel gauge. So I followed the advice of some threads here and ordered a new SPI sending unit. It's still being shipped.

I will test it with an OHM meeter also - let you know how it goes when i get my new sending unit. Thanks for the reply's.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 09, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech

I think the stickies at the top of the forum contains a gas gauge troubleshooting howto. You should find some useful info there as well regarding the full and empty resistance values and a simple way to test the circuit.

Keep in mind that the tank float mechanism probably won't sweep from stop to stop due to the space constraints in the tank. In otherwords, the range of resistance values you get holding it in your hand may be different than what you'll see once it's in the tank.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 09, 09:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I am a electric idiot.....
I have a new sending unit...in box still. I want to test it before installing it in the tank.
There is absolutely no wiring in the car.
Do I have to get power to the unit? I placed an Ohm meter on the ground wire and the sending post. It went to 0 (moved to the right)..Picked up the float and nothing changed.

bad unit or just an idiot?

Rick

Rick
68 project...reassembly starting: (383, AFR 195, Air Gap, Comp Cam XR276HR, 1.6 CC Gold rollers, Holley 750, 4/09) (TKO 600 conversion from T350 4/09) (floor pan restored 6/09). (12 bolt 3.73, Wilwood disc, Hotchkis TVS 7/09), Dougs 368 with Big Dog mufflers (9/09), 383 fired up 9/30/09, Candy Apple Red 2012 with white RallyBee stripe
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 09, 10:51 AM
Senior Tech

Sounds like a bad unit or else your ohm meter wasn't connected properly.

Since you don't have any wiring installed, the ohm test is probably the best you can do for now. I believe it will show 0 ohms full and 90 ohms empty (I could have those reversed).

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 09, 08:56 PM

let me know i am having the same prob. but my center fuel gauge reads 3 quarters of a tank.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 09, 09:47 PM
Team Member
Jake

Hey guys, read this and click on the hyperlinks in the first post. This should answer most of your questions. Good Luck...Jake
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 09, 08:34 AM

Okay, clip one lead (red) to the small terminal, and the other to the ground lug on the flange. next slowly exercise the float and observe that you ohms range from 0 to 90, if this is the case the sender is good. I prefer an analog meter because it puts a load on what it is that you are testing, in this case the rheostat. I rebuilt mine. Any additional questions let me know i just did this system yesterday on my 67.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 09, 11:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Mine was fine...I ended up just running to the local chevy dealer and had the shop hook up an Ohm meter and it worked fine

The mechanic was impressed with the unit and wanted to know how much it ran me..when I told him it was the $49 unit from Classic he was even more impressed with it.

Rick
68 project...reassembly starting: (383, AFR 195, Air Gap, Comp Cam XR276HR, 1.6 CC Gold rollers, Holley 750, 4/09) (TKO 600 conversion from T350 4/09) (floor pan restored 6/09). (12 bolt 3.73, Wilwood disc, Hotchkis TVS 7/09), Dougs 368 with Big Dog mufflers (9/09), 383 fired up 9/30/09, Candy Apple Red 2012 with white RallyBee stripe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fuel gauge, gas gauge, sending unit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode