Hazard Flasher Relay - Universal or OE/OER - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 09, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jason

Hazard Flasher Relay - Universal or OE/OER

What is you all's experience:

For a 67, do the Universal Hazard/Flashers that you find at CHECKERS, NAPA, AUTO ZONE etc. work just fine, or did you find these to not work, and that you had to order "correct" 67-69 flashers from places like RicksCamaros.com, etc.

Backstory: I bought a "Blazer" Brand 2-pin FL577 Thermal Load Flasher" rated for 11v to 15v from CHECKER AUTO. I plugged it in, but it didn't fix my problem. Do I maybe have an incompatible flasher, or do I likely have other problems.

To rule out a new but bad part from stock, I swapped it out with another new one from the CHECKER shelf. Same thing. No flashers when the Flasher button pushed in.

Symptoms:
With the "Flasher" button on the steering column pushed IN, depressing on the brake gives me the two lit green L&R turn signal triangles. Others have noted this proves my switch and wiring is good and that it has to be my flasher module. I have now installed two separete new, "universal" flashers, with negative results.

Ideas?

Thanks all!

Plain Jane 67 w/ Original 327/210.
Mods: 3spd Saginaw now a PowerGlide. 2bbl Rochester now a Holley 4bbl (4160). Hardened Valve Seats. 133k Miles. Everything else is original. Family car since 1968!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 09, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Hazard Flasher Relay - Universal or OE/OER

Stepping on the brake pedal will light all the lights as the hazard flashers are turned on and the brake light power is parallel with emerg power.

Use a flasher for trailer towing or run through the electronic book at Advance Auto to find the correct flasher.
Standard Motor Products Electronic flasher Part Number EFL1

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 09, 05:49 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

I gave you a picture right from the assy manual in your other post yesterday. The 2 spade terminals in your picture on the top right of your fuse box are where the flasher goes. Do you have 12 volts at either one of them with the key on or off? If not, you have a bad fuse as per the wiring pic I also included.

If you put 12 volts to one side of a flasher (out of the car to your battery positive) and hook the power wire from a light to the other terminal on the flasher, the flasher will work and the light blink. (the light must have a ground to bettery neg terminal too). Very simple way to test a flasher removed from the car. My bet is you don't have power to the flasher. Lastly, have you checked for power to both sides of ALL of your fuses with a test light (both key on & key off)?

Sometimes it's better to let someone think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jason

Thank you all. The problem is solved. Ended up being a bad connection between the fuse and the fuse prong of the hazard fuse.

Mods: 3spd Saginaw now a PowerGlide. 2bbl Rochester now a Holley 4bbl (4160). Hardened Valve Seats. 133k Miles. Everything else is original. Family car since 1968!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 09, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jason

so-the short answer to the ? Is : yes. Universal flashers from NAPA etc work fine. No need to get specific eo/oem flashers from ricks etc.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 09, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I forgot to mention earlier, but your website, www.midratz.com has good comics - too good! Reminds me of my carrier service. Everybody ought to view them.

Keep up the good work, Everett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode