Electrical Issue '67 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 09, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Electrical Issue '67 Camaro

I just bought this '67 camaro with a 355 motor, it's a drag car. Well it had a magneto in it and I took it out because the coil needed replaced, so I ended up just putting in a mallory unilite distributor with the promaster coil. Everything was set up correctly and the timing was fine, but the car will not start unless I ran direct power to it from my battery to an on/off switch. I was able to crank the car over with the key in the ignition, but the car would only start with the power from the battery only when the on/off switch was flipped on. For some reason, direct power from the battery is the only thing that will start the car. I don't even have enough power off of the starter to get that distributor to produce spark, and I tried to run the power wire off of the starter. Seems like something is killing my after the battery. I have the battery mounted in the trunk. I may end up just re-wiring this entire car so I could figure out where everything is going to, but does anyone have any suggestions or know what would cause this issue.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 09, 09:12 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

Re: Electrical Issue '67 Camaro

the dist doesn't get power from the starter, it gets it through the fuse block where it passes through the firewall, and is a resistor wire covered in a cloth outside layer from the factory. Being it is a drag car it's probable long gone, but if you have wires going through the junction block by the steering column it may still be there. A magneto uses a switch that grounds the mag to kill it because a magneto doesn't need voltage to work, it produces it's own. You need a key hot wire from your ignition switch to a ballast resistor, to the dist for power. Chevy starter solenoids have 1 large and 2 small terminals. Big one to battery, terminal closest to the block is the crank circuit, small terminal closest to the outside of the soleniod goes to coil positive for additional power during cranking in some applications, and is only hot while cranking. Check your installation manual to be sure if that is needed and what ballast resistor you may need. Unilites fry very easy so read the instructions and follow them. Mallory has them on their web site if you don't have them.

Sometimes it's better to let someone think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 09, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Electrical Issue '67 Camaro

In addition to Larry's suggestions, '67's OE ignition switches do not have IGN voltage in the start position. You might trade out to a '68 switch and swap your tumbler to save the key. Yes, I know, the yellow wire is still there in the OE harness.

Also, you should check charging voltage at the battery posts to ensure the correct voltage is present unless you recharge externally between rounds. If you have an ext reg alt, you can turn up the charge voltage to make up for the voltage loss.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode