67 camaro dome lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Unhappy 67 camaro dome lights

Both dome lights in vehicle don’t work. They use to about 5 years ago, anyways I replaced bulbs and door jamb switches still don’t work, I took the socket out of the housing plugged the bulb in and tested the wires at the end with a test light and the test light lights up so power is going to the sockets regardless if the doors are open or not.

I unscrewed the door jamb switches and unplugged them from the 1 wire, the wire itself isn’t continuously hot, I am under the impression that years ago I checked the wire and replaced the door jamb switch and the wire was hot, am I correct are those wires suppose to be hot at all times?

Also how could the fixtures wires be hot and the bulbs simply not light up on both sides unless the pig tails are done for and need to be replaced, I just cant see it happening on both sides though any suggestions?

it about helping others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 07:06 PM
Senior Tech
bill

Re: 67 camaro dome lights

they are always hot at the bulb sockets. the switches on the door close the circuit to ground when doors are opened up. maybe paint is under switch causing it a bad ground.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

right now the lights dont work at all. If the sockets are always hot after replacing switches or for that fact simply leaving the switches out all together since the circuit would be open and the switches only close the circut the lights should be on, and they are not, when i test he circuts at the bulb sockets they are hot but arent eluminating the bulbs, i cant understand why they are on.

it about helping others

Last edited by knightmoose; Feb 17th, 09 at 07:30 PM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

i have taking a test light and stuck the metal pin into the socket and it lights up on both of the receptacles in the socket so i think the socket is hot and either the new bulbs i bought at auzo zone are bad or the sockets are bad,

the wires at the front of the car are cold not hot wires so im skeptical as to how the circut would shut the lights off if the wires at the door jamb wernt hot?

it about helping others
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 08:09 PM
Senior Tech
stan

if you have a light switch that will turn interior lights on when turned all the way counter clockwise try turning the light switch on the dash a little to the right.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

boogies, thanks but im not confident that you examined my problem, thanks anyways

it about helping others
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 08:48 PM
Senior Tech
bill

when you check at dome light with bulb in and both sides are hot. that means wire going from dome light to door switch is open.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

bulbs in sockets dont light up current originates from fuse box to dome light thus the sockets if hot should light up the bulbs and this isnt happening and im trying to determine why.

do you suggest i back trace the power backwards ?? i dont understand why. if you could explain i would be intriged to understand, the sockets are getting power but the bulbs arent lighting up, if tracing the power backwards helps than maybe i can find out what the issue is but if you say the circut is open than power is free and flowing to the dome light harness and sockets thus they should light up if open. Unless i think you mean to say that the wires at the door jamb are cold wires and only serve the purpose of closing the free flow of electric current.

"The main issue here is im getting no light at all, i cant get them to even flicker nothing and the sockets are hot" and the current is wide open" im beginning to think i need new sockets and housing here all together the current is open thus there should be light shouldnt there?,

it about helping others
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 09:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Art

You have power at the sockets. You need a ground at the body of the socket to complete the circuit. You can have all the potential you want at the socket, if it has nowhere to go because there is no path to ground, the light will not illuminate. With the bulb installed, do you have power at the door jamb switch?

Artie

67 Camaro
99 T/A Daily Driver

Previous:
67 Camaro Traded for my 98
68 Camaro Street/Strip
98 Camaro Race car Best ET 9.08 @ 152 1.18 60'

Dyno sheets don't win races, see you at the track
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

with the bulbs installed or uninstalled i have no power at the door jamb switches, the sockets are grounded as they are in the base, since the car has deleux interior there are 2 lights in the car and neither or the 2 i can get to illuminate. I know the sockets are hot because with the bulbs out i stick the pen light tester into the socket and touch the prongs illuminating the light on the test light, thus power is going to the sockets on both ends,

my objective is to get the bulbs to at least illuminate, i dont really care about the door jamb switches although they are new as well, there should be power going to the lights as the circut is open.

it about helping others

Last edited by knightmoose; Feb 17th, 09 at 09:43 PM.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 09, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

it about helping others

Last edited by knightmoose; Feb 18th, 09 at 02:01 AM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 06:42 AM
Senior Tech
stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmoose View Post
If contact pins in the plug are not lining up with contact pins on bulb...no contact!
I am sure you have the correct bulbs so it could be possible the bulbs themselves are bad .
I would have to try testing the bulbs first
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 09:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Am I understanding you correctly? At the socket with bulb out both leads are hot? If both leads are hot with bulb out you have a ground wire connected to power. The sockets can't be grounded or the lights stay on all the time regardless of switches. Someone else asked if wire at door switch is hot, with bulb in it should be. If not open circuit between socket and switch. Somebody that knows 67's tell him what the color of the hot wire should be, on 69 I think it's the orange.

Jeff
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Boggies thanks but i wish it were the bulbs lol no i have been at this way to long and dont post unless i have tried everything first

it about helping others
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69RS View Post
Am I understanding you correctly? At the socket with bulb out both leads are hot? If both leads are hot with bulb out you have a ground wire connected to power. The sockets can't be grounded or the lights stay on all the time regardless of switches. Someone else asked if wire at door switch is hot, with bulb in it should be. If not open circuit between socket and switch. Somebody that knows 67's tell him what the color of the hot wire should be, on 69 I think it's the orange.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff yes with the bulbs out or in the leads "at the sockets are hott" at the door jamb switch the wires regardless of whether or not they are connected to the door jamb switches are cold regardless of bulbs being in the sockets at the doom lights in the rear.

The only things that are hot are the fuse block where the dome light fuse is inserted and at the dome light sockets in the rear of the car. There has to be a circut issue some place as both doom lights in the car have the same exact problem,

My question is boss how do you open the circut bewteen the socket and the switch? Are you saying cut the wire that goes from the socket to the door jamb switch and test it?

it about helping others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode