Crane Hi-6N with Mallory UniLite - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Snodgrass

Crane Hi-6N with Mallory UniLite

Trying to hook up a Crane Hi-6N CD ignition to a Mallory Unilite with optical trigger. Need help deciphering which wires go where. I don't see any instructions for using the Hi-6N with the Unilite. Here is a link to the main Hi-6N pdf: http://www.cranecams.com/pdf/90007500a.pdf

Also, will the Hi-6N work with a Blaster 2 coil or does it require a Crane PS or LX92?

Any assistance appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 05:49 PM
Tech Team
Nick

Re: Crane Hi-6N with Mallory UniLite

Not sure on how to hook this up correctly, but be aware that the Unilite may not be your best choice of distributors. I have used this distributor and it the module has failed on me more than once. I have also talked to several guys about the unilite, one guy actually had this distributor on his 67 and it malfunctioned causing the engine to detonate at high RPM's. I just wanted to let you know my experiences with this to avoid anyone from having as much misfortune that I have endured with this distibutor.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 06:11 PM
Banned
Ron

I've been running Unilite's for 20+ years and NEVER had a module failure!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 07:08 PM
Tech Team
Nick

I must have bought a bad one, or didn't hook it up quite correctly. I have had mine for almost two years and have always had one problem or another. I may have one for sale if anyones interested.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 09, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Snodgrass

No issues here with the Unilite. Just need some help using the Crane Hi-6N with it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 09, 11:31 AM
Banned
Ron

I wish I could help you but that Crane box has different wire colors than the Mallory distributor, which has 3 wire colors, red, which goes to coil positive (+), green, which goes to coil negative (-) and brown, which goes to engine ground.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 09, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Snodgrass

Anybody have an idea. I don't feel so stupid now. Must be awful complicated.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 09, 04:26 PM
Banned
Ron

Hang on, I'm going to jump back on that link and study the wiring.....Stay here for awhile in case I have any questions.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 09, 04:55 PM
Banned
Ron

The wiring diagram shows the hook up for a Crane Cam Optically Triggered Distributor which has a violet wire, green wire and a red wire.....Could you look up the wiring for this distributor if you were going to just hook it up to the coil....I have an idea but I need to confirm the wiring hook up to the coil.....Also, it appears you'll need the Crane E-Core type coil, LX92 or PS92.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 09, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Snodgrass

Thanks for taking a look. These are the install instructions for my Unilite. http://static.summitracing.com/globa...nilitedist.pdf
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 09, 05:46 PM
Banned
Ron

Hang on, I'll have to jump on Mallory's site and look up the hook up for a Hyfire Electronic Ignition Control Box, this box should be something like you have.....I know for sure the red wire is 12 volt+ both on your box and distributor.....The violet, green and brown wires are heating up my brain however!.....Hang on!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 09, 06:40 PM
Banned
Ron

I know that the red wires on the ignition control and distributor is 12 volt (+) to the ignition switch....I believe the green wire on the distributor would be the trigger wire and would hook up to the violet wire (+) #2 on the control box and if this control box has an internal ground then the distributors brown wire would hook up to the control boxes green wire (-) #1.....NOTE: DO NOT TRY THIS UNTILL YOU CONTACT CRANE CAM TECHNICAL SUPPORT TO CONFIRM!.....Tech Line: 386-258-6174
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 09, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Snodgrass

Thanks for your assist Badbird. I agree that the green wire from the unilite is the trigger wire. There is not a violet wire on the Hi-6N control box. On the other Hi-6 boxes, I believe this would go to the white wire. However, the docs on the Hi-6N box show the white wire as being the tach out. This is where my confusion lies. I'll contact Crane support again.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 05:14 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

My 2 cents... looks like the HI-6N only has a mag trigger input, and it won't work with points-style output from the Unilite. You need a mag trigger distributor (or an optical that emulates the output of a mag trigger, like the Crane optical). Or you need something like the plain street/strip HI6 that has a points input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode