Center fuel gauge will not read above 1/4 tank. Any suggestions? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Center fuel gauge will not read above 1/4 tank. Any suggestions?

Hi, thanks for reading my post - here is what I've got. 1969 Camaro with a autometer fuel gauge between the speedometer and tachometer. I'm trying to install a factory center fuel gauge from Rick's Camaros and I can't get it to read above 1/4 tank. I've read through the posts here and have tried the following with no results.

Check the gauge:
Disconnect the sending unit wire, the gauge goes to full. Ground it and the gauge goes to empty.

Check the sending unit ground:
Cleaned the ground connection for the sending unit near the mounting strap. Fill the gas tank, still reads 1/4 tank.

Check the sending unit (repro):
Drain and dropped the tank. It has a good ground connection to the sending unit body. I pulled the sending unit out of the gas tank and did some bench testing.

1) First test with my autometer fuel gauge, I was able to get a correct reading (empty to full) when I moved the lever up and down.

2) Hooked sending unit up an OHM meter and got correct 0-90 OHM reading.

3) I hooked up my new center fuel gauge, still get 1/4 tank when I move the lever to full position.

Bought a new Spectra Premium Sending Unit:
Thought my repro sending unit might not work with the OEM center fuel gauge. So I ordered a SPI sending unit and did the tests above. Same results, only 1/4 tank reading.

Resistor on the back of the gauge:
Put a new resistor on the back of the gauge (from Rick's Camaros). Bench tested, same result - 1/4 tank.

Check the gauge again - with a potentiometer:
This result is kinda weird. I hooked the pot. up to the gauge, the gauge will sweep from empty to full between the 0 - 10 OHMs (according to my OHM meter). The gauge will not respond between 10-90 OHMs when I turn the pot.

Do you guys have any further suggestions? I suspect it might be the gauge with the weird reading I am getting from the potentiometer.

Thanks!
1969 X-22 SS 396
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 12:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Center fuel gauge will not read above 1/4 tank. Any suggestions?

I would suspect it to be the guage. You tried 2 different sending units with the same result.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 02:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

I tend to think gauge aswell but recently i been through same dilema with my other car ( 69 vette)
after changing eveything once and still had same problem I grounded the case of the gauge and it works fine now.
(being on a vette might be different but ya never know)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

dawg - How did you ground the case? Is is just a matter of soldering a wire to the case and then finding a good ground spot. Thanks
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 09, 05:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

mine had a small hole in the case and a 10-24 screw fit perfectly.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 09, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg View Post
mine had a small hole in the case and a 10-24 screw fit perfectly.
Yep, that was it! I ran a second ground to the gauge and now it will sweep empty to full when i bench test it. Now i just have to put it all back in the car.

Thanks SO much for the tip - I have been stuck on this problem for quite sometime

Chris
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 09, 03:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

np ANYTIME

434 stroker
US Navy retired

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode