67 RS Headlight function problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

67 RS Headlight function problem

Moved this to a new thread as I need help ASAP. Just installed new RS wiring harness, relays, diode harness, limiting switches and rebuilt headlight doors. It all looked good. When I give it the first try, here is what I got.

Key off-pulled on parking lights.....no front parking lights, but doors opened with headlights on. (I know doors don't close unless ign switch is on)

Key on-pulled on parking lights.....no front parking lights, but doors opened with headlights on. Pulling light switch to full on did not
change lack of front parking lights. Turning off the headlight switch allowed the doors to close and headlights to turn off . (Rear lights work ok)

Why do my headlights come on and doors open when headlight switch is in parking light position? What am I missing here? I have rechecked diode wiring. Hideaways function great, except they come on in parking light position. I have no front parking lights or front turn signals. Appreciate your help on this one.
Pop

Larry, Jason & Jake<BR>The MooreBoys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 08:10 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 67 RS Headlight function problem

Do both park lights have a good ground?

1967 Mountain Green RS/SS 396/325HP TH400

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1967 Barn Fresh 327 PG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 C10
2006 Lemans Blue Corvette Z51 6Spd
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 08:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Sounds like you've got two different things going on here.
Important to note, parking lights only come on in the first detent position. When headlights are on and doors open parking lights are off (common on pre-68 cars).

Regarding the parking lights, the simplest reason could be bad GND or wrong bulbs maybe. They need to be 2 filament like 1157 or 2357. The parking lights have ground pigtails that go to the inner fender. Check that they are grounded.

Put a meter (or test light) in the socket of the park lights on the contacts when the lightswitch is pulled out to the first detent(one click, in other words) and see if you have power there.

Is the car an orignal RS and is this a stock harness or something else?

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

67 RS Car. All new RS wiring harness with no splicing or modification. It all works sweet, except no parking lights in front and headlights & Doors function when headlight switch is in park pos. I am triple checking grounds and such.
Pop

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 08:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Hmm. Is it a 67 headlight switch? Is it new? 68/69 are different.

Another thought FWIW, If you want to troubleshoot the parking lights independent of the RS doors you can disconnect the 2 wire (brown and blue) that runs through the firewall above the brake pedal and all your headlight door (relay) controls will be OFF.

Good luck. Hope this helps! Let us what you find.

-
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just made sure of the grounds on parking lights. I ran a jumper to the neg bat terminal to the white ground wires on the front parking lights. Also put in new bulbs. Now I have parking lights, but they only come on with the headlights. No front parking lights only.

RS Car, completely new wiring harness from front to rear. Harness has the voltage reg. delete and is set up for a one wire alt. I bought new headlight switch, no difference same problem noted below.

The headlights come on & doors open when headlight switch is in first detent (parking light position). In fact the headlights and doors function before the headlight switch has moved all the way to the first detent. I need some of your vast experience to help me with this problem.
Pop

Last edited by Mooreboys; Feb 21st, 09 at 09:25 PM. Reason: clearification
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 09:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Larry,

Check your wiring at the switch. This is what my original looks like.
Are your wires in these same locations?

-
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 09, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Something different here on this end as compaired to yours. The blue wire is in different location..I'm trying to figure our just what mine is doing or not doing. I will try to relocate the blue wire to a position shown in you picture. What do you thinK. Would this blue wire location cause the problem I described?
Pop

Last edited by Mooreboys; Feb 21st, 09 at 10:51 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 09, 06:03 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

That light switch is wired incorrectly The blue wire is the headlight wire, the purple one way in the back is the parking lamp wire. That blue wire in that location will (should) have 12V on it in either switch position, and was used on 68 Camaros for the parking light position. That will definatley cause your headlight doors and headlights to open and turn on in either position. Move the blue wire to the vacant pin next to the brown and green wires, which should only have 12V with the switch in the headlight position. If the parking lights still don't work, look at the connectors at the end of the parking lamp harnesses themselves for a bad connection as the wire appears to be in the correct position on the switch. Also check for 12V right at the switch with the switch in the parking lamp position, might have a problem with the switch itself.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Last edited by Mark C; Feb 22nd, 09 at 06:21 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 09, 06:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I agree with Mark, that should do it. Let us know what happens!

-
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 09, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Switching the blue wire did the trick. Everything works like it is supposed to work. Thanks guys for the help. I probably would have never thought to check that connector. Appreciate your help.
Pop

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 09, 04:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Excellent! Glad to hear it!

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode