factory Radio - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 09, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

factory Radio

I have recently purchased a factory am radio - anyone have a clue how you hook it up, what wires go where - pictures are worth a thousand words - any help is greatly appreciated

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 09, 12:54 AM
Senior Tech
Johnny

Re: factory Radio

Jason what wires/colors do you have coming out of the back of that radio? do you have the factory plug/clip with the radio or under the dash? There should be one wire for ground one for power and two or four wires for the speakers. I will look in my assembly manual tomorrow and look it up. I got my factory AM radio's guts converted to digital by a radio tech and now it has FM/AM and built in amp with an IPod hookup but you would never be able to tell by looking at it.

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 09, 05:48 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny67 View Post
Jason what wires/colors do you have coming out of the back of that radio? do you have the factory plug/clip with the radio or under the dash? There should be one wire for ground one for power and two or four wires for the speakers. I will look in my assembly manual tomorrow and look it up. I got my factory AM radio's guts converted to digital by a radio tech and now it has FM/AM and built in amp with an IPod hookup but you would never be able to tell by looking at it.
Would like to see a picture of your radio. That sounds really cool. What did it cost for that conversion?
-Doug

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 09, 01:18 PM
Senior Tech
Johnny

I had a local guy do my radio, I picked up one of his cards at the muscle car parts stores, he charged me around $450-$500 it was a few years ago and that was with the radio and knobs included. Now that the conversion has been around for awhile it looks like the big parts companies are getting in on it and you can now get a really nice one from Ricks first gen (click on the link below). It has all the bells and whistles. A little pricey but you only have to buy it once and it will keep the interior all stock with a kick *** stereo sound. I will be using my cell phone with songs uploaded to it and just plug it into my radio and I will be rockin down the highway. If you choose to get the one from ricks I'm sure you could get at least $100 and up for you radio on ebay depending on condition.

http://www.rickscamaros.com/product....dept%5Fid=3104

Here is a pic of mine

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)

Last edited by johnny67; Feb 23rd, 09 at 01:35 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 09, 04:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I've gotten two through John. Does excellent work and your radio, including the case comes back new. I know for a fact that he usually has Camaro stereos in stock and ready to go. No need to even send him a core. I've paid $259 each time. Contact him for pricing. http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6kave/index.html
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Quote:
Johnny67
i have no wires hanging out the back and no factory clip either. the car was rewired with autowire classic update harness so I have the typical power wires for a new stereo

Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 01:46 PM
Senior Tech
Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorn View Post
Johnny67
i have no wires hanging out the back and no factory clip either. the car was rewired with autowire classic update harness so I have the typical power wires for a new stereo

Jason here is a plug that is for sale on ebay right now. It has the yellow wire for power and the other two are for a speaker. For a ground wire you can just attatch a wire to the metal body of the radio and the other end to the metal frame of your dash. That should get it working.

Was there a guarantee that this radio works? Where did you buy it? has it been refurbished or is it original and never been touched in 40 years. Just wondering.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...ayphotohosting

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 01:49 PM
Senior Tech
Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Tom View Post
I've gotten two through John. Does excellent work and your radio, including the case comes back new. I know for a fact that he usually has Camaro stereos in stock and ready to go. No need to even send him a core. I've paid $259 each time. Contact him for pricing. http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6kave/index.html
thats a great deal Tom.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

Quote:
Jason here is a plug that is for sale on ebay right now. It has the yellow wire for power and the other two are for a speaker. For a ground wire you can just attatch a wire to the metal body of the radio and the other end to the metal frame of your dash. That should get it working.

Was there a guarantee that this radio works? Where did you buy it? has it been refurbished or is it original and never been touched in 40 years. Just wondering.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...ayphotohosting
I bought it from the team camaro classifieds, the guy said it works, it is in excellent condition never been refurbished

Jason

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

johnny 67
witch side is the power.

Jason

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 09, 04:08 AM
Senior Tech
Roger

Quote:
johnny 67
witch side is the power.
Looking at the back of the radio.....the far right should be power....

Roger 67 RS/SS350
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 09, 01:20 PM
Senior Tech
Johnny

Quote:
johnny 67
witch side is the power.
jason, if you buy the plug I am sure that it only goes in one way, so the yellow wire is the power. Otherwise you could take Roger's advice. You could also hook up the ground to the radio and get a power wire and touch it to the different tabs until the radio lights up. Make sure the radio is turned on and if the wire touches the body of the radio you will probably blow a fuse in the fuse box, but that ain't a big deal. I'm sure there is a more proper way of doing it but the best way would be to have the factory plug.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jason

ok I found that the power goes to the left the next prong is spk and the last is gnd. I hooked up 12v to the left speakers to the next two and ground the radio case. the light comes on but no noise from the speakers. Am I missing something, I have seen notes from others that the older systems had positive to the speakers and ground to the chasis. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Jason

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

Quote:
ok I found that the power goes to the left the next prong is spk and the last is gnd. I hooked up 12v to the left speakers to the next two and ground the radio case. the light comes on but no noise from the speakers. Am I missing something, I have seen notes from others that the older systems had positive to the speakers and ground to the chasis. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
If I read what you typed correctly, that should work. The radio case and one side of the speaker should be grounded. You should at least get some crackle without an antenna. These radios were less than reliable. The germanium output transistor was the biggest weakness.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 01:51 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Send a message via Yahoo to IDS_Bill

Big question - Delco or Bendix? Bendix has one wire for power and grounds on th emount. The speaker plugs into holes on the side of the unit.

67 Yenko Tribute - 427/4SPD/Bolero Red
2010 2SS/RS Camaro - Victory Red with White Rally Stripes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode