Hidden kill switch....ideas? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Question Hidden kill switch....ideas?

I'd like to add a bit of security to the car (when and if it ever runs again).
What are some of the tricky places and ways to wire an ignition kill switch to keep it from starting?
I realize a good thief will overcome something like this, but I want to keep most of the scum from hot-wiring the car.
I thought of maybe a small switch down in the console, or up under the dash somewhere. The battery is going to be in the trunk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 07:22 AM
Kevin

Re: Hidden kill switch....ideas?

behind ash tray, under seat. I seem to remember one guy using a gutted lighter

Kevin

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 07:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Art

Be careful what you post, thieves use the internet too

Artie

67 Camaro
99 T/A Daily Driver

Previous:
67 Camaro Traded for my 98
68 Camaro Street/Strip
98 Camaro Race car Best ET 9.08 @ 152 1.18 60'

Dyno sheets don't win races, see you at the track

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 07:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
behind ash tray, under seat. I seem to remember one guy using a gutted lighter
Which wires are intercepted?

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 08:56 AM
Senior Tech
Brent

MSD-6AL has a wire that allows a kill switch to be inserted into the ignition system...I believe it is the white wire...just need to hook this wire to a switch somewhere...be creative and hide it or disguise it...

I'm sure you can even wire the white wire to a switch that you activate/deactivate with a remote control...probably cheap to do and completely hidden.

None of that will stop a thief with a flatbed but it will slow down/stop the other 80% that don't have one.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 08:58 AM
Senior Tech
Brent

Would this work to wire it remotely?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-Switch-15...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmc View Post
MSD-6AL has a wire that allows a kill switch to be inserted into the ignition system...I believe it is the white wire...just need to hook this wire to a switch somewhere...be creative and hide it or disguise it...

I'm sure you can even wire the white wire to a switch that you activate/deactivate with a remote control...probably cheap to do and completely hidden.

None of that will stop a thief with a flatbed but it will slow down/stop the other 80% that don't have one.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 09:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

For leaving my car for short periods - running into a store for bread - I have a hidden battery disconnect switch connected to a hidden Painless latching battery disconnect.

For longer periods, a few hours, I use the battery disconnect together with a keyed combination remote hood lock/starter interrupt - which is also easy and convenient to use. The hood lock is important. It makes trouble shooting why the car won't turn over very difficult.

If I'm leaving the car overnight, I have the Grant removeable steering wheel setup, which has a steel cover that locks over the steering shaft after you've pulled the wheel to make it impossible to steer the car with vicegrips. I use all three when I leave the car overnight.

None of it, as has been suggested, protects the car from a thief with a flatbed.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 09:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

you need to put one in a spot that doesnt look obvious.. for example, when you pull up and park to you dont want to be seen reaching under your seat to flip a toogle switch..it needs to be hidden and in arms reach!! definatly have a main kill in the trunk..use your wiper switch as a kill!!!(lol)

Last edited by SPARKY69; Feb 25th, 09 at 11:29 AM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech
David

A friend of mine(retired GM engineer) used the cigarette lighter in a Surburban as a "kill switch". Once energized with the switch in the "on" position, the engine would start.

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/...ems/index.html

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 12:48 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Puta good alarm in, these have automatic kill switces, also including an electric fuel pump if one is instralled.
The cig lighter, was a suggestion from my son in an older post a yr or so ago on the same subject.. the element has to be shorted out to remove the resistance in the lighter

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 12:52 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

I just have a toggle switch under the dash. It works. This is my second hidden kill switch though, my first hidden kill is my pitbull!

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Guess

I don't expect anyone to come right out and give me their setup in an open forum.
And I realize nothing stops a tow truck or flatbed.
I'm just looking for some sneaky suggestions to give me an idea where to start.
The MSD thing is cool. That's kind of what I was looking for. And like Mkelcy said, I plan to have more than one.
I'd like to throw an alarm system in as well but wanted a backup in case it's overridden. I want a way to break all circuits completely, and maybe leave the alarm wiring in place as a dummy wiring harness and route my own in a more hidden place.

I like the lighter idea. I thought about that one.
And I like the removable plug. I used to have a car that had an electronic 'key' that had to be inserted before the ignition key would work. It was either my Honda or Acura. Can't remember.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 01:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyStarJoe View Post
I don't expect anyone to come right out and give me their setup in an open forum.
And I realize nothing stops a tow truck or flatbed.
I'm just looking for some sneaky suggestions to give me an idea where to start.
The MSD thing is cool. That's kind of what I was looking for. And like Mkelcy said, I plan to have more than one.
I'd like to throw an alarm system in as well but wanted a backup in case it's overridden. I want a way to break all circuits completely, and maybe leave the alarm wiring in place as a dummy wiring harness and route my own in a more hidden place.

I like the lighter idea. I thought about that one.
The only issue with the lighter idea is that if you use a laptop, radar detector, GPS or cell phone charger (or all 4), you need to install a second power outlet.

IMHO, security starts with a functional hood lock - if nothing else it makes defeating/disarming whatever else you've got more difficult.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 09, 01:04 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
The only issue with the lighter idea is that if you use a laptop, radar detector, GPS or cell phone charger (or all 4), you need to install a second power outlet.

IMHO, security starts with a functional hood lock - if nothing else it makes defeating/disarming whatever else you've got more difficult.
Any suggestions on good hood locks that you can't see from the outside of your car very well?

1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode