stereo speaker harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 09, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
joe

Send a message via AIM to zbo2
stereo speaker harness

even though my 69 came with the standard AM radio with a front and rear speaker, i want to put the new/old AM/FM MP3 radio in. i bought the 4 speaker stereo harness from Ricks
( american autowire )i think it's a factory harness. the problem is, even though it has the proper connectors for the 2 front speakers it only has 2 wires going to the rear speakers. one is blue and goes to the pass side and the other is longer and brown and goes to the drivers side. it would appear that you need to ground 1 side of each speaker to the body. i've never seen stereo speakers wired this way before. am i missing something? i did turn 54 the other day so it really could be me...lol

Joe

69 Z-28 Fathom Green />93 Z-28 Pace Car/>86 Corvette...Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 09, 10:24 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: stereo speaker harness

I'm going to turn 50, so what are you trying to say ?

I cannot say for sure with your setup but GM, Ford, AMC, and some others only had one wire going to a speaker which was the positive output from the radio and it connected to the speaker and then the negative wire on the speaker was tied to the speakers frame and when it was bolted down to metal it worked. This is what they called a common ground system. When I had this setup in cars but the speaker had two terminals I had this little jumper wires to go from the speakers negative terminal and then would clip onto a metal edge close to the speaker.
Todays radio's and some older ones had what is called a floating ground system in that the positive and negative speaker wires could not come into contact with the body of the car and if this did happen they would either go into protection or burn up the output transistors.

I would double check that your radio CAN have a speakers negative terminal grounded to the body of the car. I wouldn't want to take a chance and damage the radio.

Normally the common ground systems were only 5-6 watts per channel while the floating ground systems could be 20 watts or more.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 09, 09:55 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

They used a common ground back then. Modern radios need two wires to each speaker.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 09, 04:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Yep, single wire was OEM. That's why my 8 track is not hooked to my newer speakers. Couldn't figure out how to do it. But it makes a great armrest! Maybe I should get another set of speakers for it. Ah, nostalgia,,,,,,,

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
joe

Send a message via AIM to zbo2

ok..thanks..........so now if i'm gonna use the newer style old looking radio.....i guess i have to add 2 ground wires to go back to the newer radio. haven't they come up with a "wireless" speaker system for cars yet?....lol

Joe

69 Z-28 Fathom Green />93 Z-28 Pace Car/>86 Corvette...Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode