Only Lights That Turn On Are The Headlights! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 09, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eloy

Unhappy Only Lights That Turn On Are The Headlights!

I Have An Issue With My 67 Camaro. My Turn Signals Work But My Brake Lights and My Back Up Lights Dont Work. The Cluster Lights Dont Turn On Either. When I Turn ON The Light Switch, The Only Lights That Turn On Are The Head Lights. What Could Be The Problem? I Need To Get This Fixed Before Monday Because This Is The Car I Take To School..

I Already Tested The Light Switch And Its Just Fine. Also All The Fuses Are Good So That Couldnt Be The Problem. Any Help Will Be Very Much Appreciated.
THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 09, 07:33 PM
Banned
Ron

Re: Only Lights That Turn On Are The Headlights!

All indications are leading to a blown fuse!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 09, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Dash lights probably don't work because of a burnt spot on the rheostat. Grab ahold of the headlamp knob and twist the bejesus out of it.

Brake lights may not work because of a bad brake light switch at the brake pedal or turn signal switch is not going back to center position correctly.

Back-up lights may not be working due to a maladjusted back-up light switch either on the steering column if column shifted or console shifter or on trans if manual trans.

Remember, front parking lights do not work with headlamps on, only common with '67.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 09, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eloy

Ok The Thing is That All These Things Were Working The Day Before. The Switch Is Good And All The Fuses Are Good. The Brake Switch Is Ok. I Checked It On My Friends Camaro And It Was Working Good. Im Totally Lost. Has This Ever Happened to Anyone?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 03:53 AM
Senior Tech
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie707 View Post
Ok The Thing is That All These Things Were Working The Day Before. The Switch Is Good And All The Fuses Are Good. The Brake Switch Is Ok. I Checked It On My Friends Camaro And It Was Working Good. Im Totally Lost. Has This Ever Happened to Anyone?
Check the horseshoe shaped wiring connector from the steering column to underdash...have had mine work loose once

Roger 67 RS/SS350
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger344 View Post
Check the horseshoe shaped wiring connector from the steering column to underdash...have had mine work loose once
Maybe take and unplug it and reconnect it. Wire brush the contacts?

These cars do become, if not already, possessed. Just like a woman, they need caressing.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 01:46 PM
Senior Tech

Find that fuse and measure the voltage between the fuse terminal and the metal end of the fuse it's connected to on both sides with the light circuit powered up. If you see voltage you've found a bad connection at the fuse terminal. I'd also measure across the fuse itself since they can look fine but still be open at the end.

It's common for those 40 year old fuse terminal to get a layer of rust on them that can create some interesting gremlins.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

There are two sources of power to your light switch. An orange wire fed from a fuse and a red wire fed from the battery.

Your back up lights are from a different circuit fuse or the accy. The only thing these all have in common is your ignition switch. Check your terminals there and see if one has broken loose from the Bat terminal.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 09, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantooch View Post
There are two sources of power to your light switch. An orange wire fed from a fuse and a red wire fed from the battery.

Your back up lights are from a different circuit fuse or the accy. The only thing these all have in common is your ignition switch. Check your terminals there and see if one has broken loose from the Bat terminal.

Ok ill Try And Check All These Suggestions Hope I Get It Fixed. Ill Reply To The Post if I Havent Fixed It. Thanks For All Your Help
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 09, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eloy

I Fixed My Light Problem! It Seems That Sumone Rewired The Car Once And They Messed Up On The Wire That Leads Up To The Light Switch. So I Just Swaped The Wire From A Direct 12v Soure. To A Switched Source On The Fuse Box. So Now My Lights Turn Off Once I Turn My Car OffI Also Removed The Fuse That Went In The Slot For The Light Switch Just So I Wouldnt Have A Short Somwhere Later On. I Would Like To Thank Everyone That Posted Their Ideas And Responses. On This Subject. Once Again Thanks To Everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode