Turn signals not flashing - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 09, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Turn signals not flashing

I just bought a 1997 Z28. I have a problem with the turn signals. Once I turn either one on, it stays on without flashing. It also stays on in the console without flashing? Does anyone know what may be causing this? The emergency lights work fine thou. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 09, 06:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: Turn signals not flashing

turn them on walk around the car check all your lights, usually caused by a burned out
bulb, I think there are 2 in each tail light, if all bulbs good next would be flasher
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 09, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, i do have my back left bulb burned out. I havent replaced it because its stuck to the socket. It looks like its corrosive around it and that made them stick together. Not sure if im going to have to change the socket or just clean it out.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 09, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech
Shawn

you can probably just clean it out

i would get some needle nose, and put it below the bulb and see if you can wiggle it out

but is that the only light thats out? if it doesnt flash with the right side also, im betting its the flasher.. there are two, one for the turn signals, and another for the 4 ways
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 09, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech

The flasher depends on current flow to heat up a little bi-metal leaf inside the flasher that makes it toggle. They must have engineered them just right because a bad connection or one bad bulb is enough to prevent them from toggling.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 09, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Yes, thats the only light that is out. The back right turn signal remains on, but the ones in the front work.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 09, 10:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Does the flasher scenario above explain my '67's situation? When I turn on the Right turn signals they don't flash. The right rear stays on steady but the front right is nothing. However, When I turn on the flashers all 4 flash. When I turn on the left turn signals both front and rear flash. I know I have a bad wire on the front drivers socket but it still works and I've switches the bulbs around to see if somehow it was one of them. Growing frustrated and thought it was time to ask for help. Any suggesting and thank you.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

If you no t/s voltage at the socket, but 4-ways work, then it would be the t/s signal switch. You might fiddle with the handle.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 09:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Thanks Everett. I'll try that today.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 03:57 PM
Senior Tech

I just worked on a s-10 with the same issue. It was the flasher. It used one flasher for the hazards and one for the turn signals. I don't have access to a location or schematic right now but if you can find the flashers location, a simple swap of flashers should give you a quick insight if its the flasher or something deeper like the switch.

NEVER argue with a stupid person. They bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode