red thing connected to the blue thing, blue thing connected to the.... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 09, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Vic

Question red thing connected to the blue thing, blue thing connected to the....

catchy title? lol, anways i am having problem with my camaro diagrams..

I am re wiring my camaro, have an 18 circuit painless harness for 69-74 Gm vehicles......anyways, i have a distributor with a built in solenoid, so with that being said, does the RED terminal wire from the battery (thick 4 gauge one) go to the solenoid or does it go to the alternator?

Black terminal (gauge 4) goes to the frame as a ground?

from the solenoid/distributor, do i connect my starter? if my output goes to the starter, what's the input for the distributor/solenoid?

i hate being so illiterate when it comes to wiring lol!

PLEASE HELP!

Also, my oil pressure sensor is on my block and not on my manifold, is that normal?

Vic
1969 Camaro SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 09, 08:21 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage
Re: red thing connected to the blue thing, blue thing connected to the

#4 red from battery to horn relay. from horn relay to alternator.

(Purple wire) from ignition to starter, (Yellow wire)from starter to +side of coil. - side of coil to distributor. (red wire) from ignition through ballast resistor to + side of coil. So + terminal on coil has two wires.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 09, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Vic

i have an HEI distributor, i don't think i need i need a ballast resistor.. and the 4 gauge terminal wire from the battery goes to the horn relay? ALSO my coil is within my distributor, but i do have a + and a - on the back of the distributor.... im so CONFUSED! lol

Vic
1969 Camaro SS

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Any instructions/schematic of the harness you could share?

HEI needs a full battery voltage and the power lead would go to the 'BAT' terminal on the body of the distributor. Tachometer wire would hook up to 'TACH' terminal.

Yes, if length allows, red #4 wire to horn relay buss bar. Or better would be to battery posts for both #4 red & black wires.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech

Wait...

Aren't the 4 gage wires the two primary battery cables? OE battery cables are 6 gage or so, so I am assuming you have two big fat cables from the battery.

If that is the case, the black (ground, battery negative) hooks to the engine; on a 69 small block car, the battery main ground went to the upper rear alternator bracket bolt, where it attaches to the intake manifold.

The battery positive runs down along the oil pan rail, connecting to the big center lug on the starter solenoid.

As Ev mentioned, the 12V feed to the distributor should go to the 'Bat" terminal on the distributor; if your cap is labeled with + and - instead of "bat" and "tach", the 12V feed goes to the +, and the tach would go to -.

Best thing to do at this point is use the diagrams on this link ( https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93576 ; you'll have to PM JimM for a password) and understand how GM wired the 69 originally, then look at the Painless diagrams and go from there.

The feed for the distributor should come right from the firewall connector; the OE harness had a yellow wire from the starter R terminal to the coil, which provided a full 12V to the points when the starter was engaged. You don't need that with HEI.

The only things connected to the starter should be the hot wire (GM color purple, 12 gage) to the S terminal, the big thick battery lead to the B terminal (biggest terminal), and possibly the alternator charging lead (I'm not sure how Painless charges the battery; my AAW kit put the charging wire on the starter solenoid with the battery cable, instead of using the junction block behind the battery like OE).

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 11:25 AM
Banned
Ron

It's been a couple years since I completely rewired my car with the 18 circuit Painless Wiring Kit #20101.....I'll get back with you, I need to locate the installation booklet....And what do you mean when you say you have a distributor with a built in solenoid?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
It's been a couple years since I completely rewired my car with the 18 circuit Painless Wiring Kit #20101.....I'll get back with you, I need to locate the installation booklet....And what do you mean when you say you have a distributor with a built in solenoid?

I find that the painless diagram is completly useless, doesnt help me at all! Its a GM harness, and they keep referring to Mopar and Ford!?

Im such a dummy, i mean COIL built in COIL, not solenoid! lol

And when you write #4, does this mean 4 gauge, im not familiar with that way of writing, much easier if it does mean that lol

In terms of my ground, I have 2 ground, one which is touching the frame, which leads up to teh battery terminal, and then the other then one on the frame to go to the engine. The 2 ground wires on the frame are bolted on the same bolt (is that okay?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...68612&viewitem=

This is my Distributor.

Do i need a junction block if i run the alternator wire to the solenoid along with battery 4 gauge?

Vic
1969 Camaro SS
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 01:06 PM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1969 View Post
catchy title? lol, anways i am having problem with my camaro diagrams..

I am re wiring my camaro, have an 18 circuit painless harness for 69-74 Gm vehicles......anyways, i have a distributor with a built in solenoid, so with that being said, does the RED terminal wire from the battery (thick 4 gauge one) go to the solenoid or does it go to the alternator?

Black terminal (gauge 4) goes to the frame as a ground?

from the solenoid/distributor, do i connect my starter? if my output goes to the starter, what's the input for the distributor/solenoid?

i hate being so illiterate when it comes to wiring lol!

PLEASE HELP!

Also, my oil pressure sensor is on my block and not on my manifold, is that normal?

OK....The main power wire, which is a 10 gauge red wire, now attaches at the starter solenoid (Battery Cable Post) rather than the pigtail at the Battery.....Make sure you install the fusible link wire between the starter solenoid and the 10 gauge wire to protect the overall system from an accidental short of the system!.....Your Red Positive + Battery cable (4 gauge) also attaches to the starter solenoid (Battery Cable Post).

Your Black Negative - Battery cable (4 gauge) grounds to the engine block, not the frame!

There's another 12 gauge red wire, which attaches to the Alternator B+ terminal on the Alternator, to power up the charging system.

Your oil pressure sending unit is supposed to be at the rear of the engine block!

I can tell by your writing that you don't appear to be too hip when it comes to electrical wiring!.....Make sure you follow the Painless wiring installation instructions carefully or you're liable to start an electrical fire!.....The Painless wiring kit can be a bit overwhelming if you don't know what you're doing so just ask any questions you may have!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 01:17 PM
Banned
Ron

Quote:

Do i need a junction block if i run the alternator wire to the solenoid along with battery 4 gauge?

I'll be damned if I know what you're talking about!.....What junction block are you referring to?.....You no longer use a junction block with the Painless Wiring Kit!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

Ron, he might be referring to the horn relay as the junction block.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 04:07 PM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantooch View Post
Ron, he might be referring to the horn relay as the junction block.

Brandon....The horn relay and the junction block are no longer needed with the Painless Wiring Kit!....The horn relay plugs into the Painless fuse box!....These parts are omitted for a cleaner engine compartment!.....It appears this guy thinks he should use his original electrical components but this is not the case with these new Painless wiring harnesses!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 09, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Vic

that clears a lot for me, thanks..

the 12 gauge alternator wire on the B+, goes to the solenoid or directly to the battery?

thanks ron, and when it comes to electrical, call me certified brainless lol

Vic
1969 Camaro SS
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 09, 11:33 AM
Banned
Ron

Quote:

the 12 gauge alternator wire on the B+, goes to the solenoid or directly to the battery?

NO!....I notice you're on line right now so stay here until I clear this up!.....Look at your Painless Wiring Harness for the engine and tell me how many red wires you see?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 09, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Vic

okay,

Purple - to coil
Pink - to coil (ignition hot)
Fluorescent orange - ignition switch ("ign")***
RED 12 gauge - Alternator output post
Purple 12 gauge - starter solenoid
Red 10 gauge - battery source
RED 10 gauge - Alternator from Maxi Fuse to Alternator

*** where does the ignition switch end up??? it comes straight from the fuse box

I think im starting to make sense of it all, and the painless instruction is making sense now.. thanks RON for much help and same wiht you all..

Vic
1969 Camaro SS
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 09, 11:53 AM
Banned
Ron

I just realized you've got the 18 circuit Painless Wiring Kit, PN 20102 for 69-74 GM "A" and "F" body cars!.....I've got the same 18 circuit kit only mine is for the 67-68 Camaros and Firebirds, PN 20101!.....I regret that I am unable to help as you may have additional wires and color coded wires that my kit did not have!.....You would need to post the actual Painless Wiring installation instructions for your application in order for me to assist you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode