Fyi oer tach msd ignition - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
stan

Angry Fyi oer tach msd ignition

Just a note to let any one who is looking to purchasse an OER TACH for a 69 camaro that is using MSD IGNITION SUCH AS 6AL ...IT WILL NOT WORK !
After sending my new oer tach to Msd for checking they can not make it work with the MSD ignition and distributer.
Had the local parts depot send them another tach to be sure and they can not make the OER tach work no matter what they try.
Not bashing any body but I think it should be noted in the brochures that it won't work before you waste a lot of time and money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 07:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Fyi oer tach msd ignition

Thanks for the heads up. I almost went down that road.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech
Ted

I have an aftermarket stock looking tach and MSD HEI (large cap) dist. everthing works fine and have been running it for 2 yrs. I think and have read that with the old stock tachs you have to make a filter or something as to not blow up the tach. I think there is a sticky that Jim M has in the elec. basics on how to make a filter.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 11:44 AM
Senior Tech
Boo

When you say it will not work, what exactly do you mean?

I've had one installed for a year and I thought it was working fine until I went to the dyno recently and found out it wouldn't go over 2000 rpm.

I have OER tic toc tach with MSD 6AL ignition and Jegs Red Hot HEI coil and distributor.

Does anyone know if my problem can be fixed with an MSD tach filter? Is JimM's filter the same as MSD's in terms of functionality?

Thanks.

My Ride:
1968 Camaro SS Clone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Doesn't it say it right in the ad in the catalog? Not trying to be a smart ***.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 01:13 PM
Senior Tech

The filter Jim M posted is a simple Pi filter that gives a good 2nd order response meaning it will quite sharply filter the fuzz of the tach signal while leaving plenty of signal to feed the tach. The main advantage is that the filter is adjustable and it's cheap. Set the control to the max, start the engine and turn it down until the tach begins to function. You might give it a little nudge beyond that and you should be good. You should be able to put one of those together for less than $10 so it's not much of a risk to try. Someone with a good junkbox of parts could build it for free.

MSD presents some challenges. The multiple spark discharge below 2000 RPM is a challenege for any tach to use. Mosd of those 6AL boxes have a tach feed signal line that should be much cleaner than using the coil - not sure if the OP was using the Tach signal or traditional coil-connected signal.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 09, 06:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOGIES View Post
Just a note to let any one who is looking to purchasse an OER TACH for a 69 camaro that is using MSD IGNITION SUCH AS 6AL ...IT WILL NOT WORK !
After sending my new oer tach to Msd for checking they can not make it work with the MSD ignition and distributer.
Had the local parts depot send them another tach to be sure and they can not make the OER tach work no matter what they try.
Not bashing any body but I think it should be noted in the brochures that it won't work before you waste a lot of time and money.

Call MSD and they'll send you a kit with a filter and/or resistor, for free, that should fix you right up!

Dave Miller

2014 Z/28
2015 ZL1

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 09, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
stan

To make a long story short!
Purchased an OER repro 7000 rpm tach from a local parts depot.
Catalog says it will work with adapter if used with ele ignition, msd. Hei and so on.
Installed tach after purchasing the 8920 adapter and won’t read properly.
Tach runs up to 3000 and stops and will only run up slowly not keeping up with engine.
Called msd they sent me a .01 uf capacitor that they said would do the trick.
No Different.
Called msd they asked me to send them the tach and adapter to them to check which after receiving they tested and said it must be a bad tach.
Sent Tach back to depot and they exchanged it for a new one which was sent to Msd and the same problem occurred which meant it was nothing wrong with the tach but it would not work with the MSD system.
Msd said they can not get it to work with their system and suggested I SEND IT TO Southern Electronics Inc. In Va. To see if they can modify it to read 12v square wave which I will do today and let ya’ll know how it works out.
Not a product or company bash by any means, just letting others know on a OER repro tach it will NOT work using a MSD IGNITION SYSTEM.
The tach will register but not the correct rpm’s of the engine.
And a reminder MSD HAD THE TACH AND DID ALL THE TEST AND COULD NOT MAKE IT WORK.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 09, 04:46 PM

North Hollywood Speedometer and Clock
http://www.nhspeedometer.com/
thay can help.
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode