Got a 69 Camaro and want true HID Lights! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 09, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Got a 69 Camaro and want true HID Lights!

I would love to have these HIDS onmy car so is there somewhere you can get a kit? I also understand you can just get the Halogen Bulb housings and then buy the bulbs but was wondering what are you guys doing?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 07:26 AM
Senior Tech
MARK

Garage
Send a message via AIM to PROZ11
Re: Got a 69 Camaro and want true HID Lights!

You can get a set of 7" Hologen housings that use H4 bulbs. Swap them in place of your standard headlights. Then you just need a H4 to HID conversion kit. There are tons of the 7" H4 housings and HID kits on eBay. The wiring is simple. Many of the kits are plug and play. I have this sety up ready to go but I haven't installed mine yet. I'm not anticipating any problems. You may have to alter the headlight buckets on your car for the H4 headlight housings to fit correctly.

Pro Street Z11 clone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOUTUBE VIDEO:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 08:02 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

You might check out this thread over at PT.com about HID (they having some issues currently but it is a must read):
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49029

Google cache which should let you read some of it:
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Ed

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 09, 04:48 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I run true HID's in my 67 and I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!! I removed the sealed beams and installed composite assemblies along with 4300K HID's. I have had ABSOLUTELY no issues whatsoever from them. In fact, they draw less current than a standard halogen bulb. Your standard halogen runs from 55w and produces around 2500K. A HID bulb runs from 35w and produces 4300K or more. They have many many choices for HID. If you are looking for the most light output, go with a 4300K kit. In HID's, the higher then kelvin number does not mean more light output. If you are looking for the purplish color, then run a 6000K, but the best overall light output and usable kit is from the 4300K. The best manufacturer of HID is by far HELLA. They are the most durable and they usually use the D1S style bases. They are the round push and turn style, but the original, non modified style with the 2 wires are great also. That is the style I run.

Also, aftermarket HID kits are illegal to run on ANY car that is not factory equipped, unless you have historic tags. OEM HID's are auto leveling and there is no way to get that from an aftermarket kit without having to make it into an entire housing assembly and that would cost mucho denero. The cost to replace an OEM HID housing costs around 1000 or more per assembly, depending on the manufacturer.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 09, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Chris

I have a HID H-4 kit that I tried to just plug in my factory harness and it just flickered! Tried it on another car 1987 Buick Grenad National with same H-4 harness plug and it worked! Is there something you have to change on the factory 69 cmamro headlight wiring to enable it to power up HID's???
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 09, 09:34 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I assume the kit is complete(transformers included) because you said it worked on the GN. Each headlight should have its own relay, fuse and transformer. Along with these pieces, they should be grounded individually as well. The plug used that plugs into the factory harness should be a 2 prong male on the HID side, but should have 3 female receivers. 1 is for ground, usually the center port and the 2 outsides ports are for low and high beam. Unless you purchased a bi-xenon kit(high and low beam), you are only going to need the low beam port on the OEM harness. Also, I have a bad habit of doing this, sometimes when I get in the car, I accidentally hit the high beam switch. Just for giggles, make sure you don't have the high beams on. If you do indeed have everything wired correctly and the low beams are on, then you either have an issue with a ground or the headlight switch. This isn't, by chance, a RS model, is it? I ask because even though the 68/9's are vacuum, the system should still be wired through the headlight switch and that is where the issue arose in my system. The low beam only style of HID's use only 1 of the OEM pigtails to supply power to the system, but the OEM wiring, the way it is ran, needs both pigtails to be in service to operate. Here is what I did, take a standard H-4 bulb and plug it into the non HID pigtail and give that a try. I found this was the only way to get my system to operate properly. Good Luck.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode