Pro's vs. Con's Electric Fan vs. stock - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Pro's vs. Con's Electric Fan vs. stock

I'm looking at cleaning up my engine compartment, buy don't want to run hot... Are there any issues with the stock vs. elec. or ? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 03:24 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

Re: Pro's vs. Con's Electric Fan vs. stock

If you do the job correctly there are no cons in my opinion. I have run nothing but electric fans for years with no issues.

Doing it right means, a relay, some sort of thermostat control, a bypass switch (just in case but, this must also run through the relay).

Selecting the right size fan and mounting it as a puller not a pusher is also very important. If you have the room a Taurus or Lincoln Mark VIII fan is a great option, very powerful. You can get them aftermarket from Vintage Air among other places. The Vintage Air fan has a 19" blade.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 04:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

If you don't mind the non-stock look, electric fans are great. I run dual electric fans from BeeCool and I love them. As Royce said, just make sure you wire them correctly and do it right. I had issues with overheating all the time before I went electric and now no issues what so ever. Of course some guys are just fine with a stock fan/shroud setup. The question I always ask the guys that run stock setup is this: Will your cooling system maintain an acceptable temp when the car is sitting and idling for 20 minutes on a 95 plus degree day? You be surprised how many say "no" and of course they follow up with "well... I am never going to sit in one place for 20 minutes anyways". My point is, what if you do? Traffic jam, crazy rush hour or accident where you are inching along. It's nice to have that security built into your car. Nothing worse than getting stuck in traffic and knowing that if you don't start moving soon, you will overheat. The sight of a temp guage creeping higher and higher. Been there, done that way too many times! I also hear the old wife's tale about the relay switches creating another point of failure, etc. The fans and circuitry you are getting these days is the same as what they put in new cars that run electric fans. Some of them being highly priced sports cars from Europe. My point is that you don't hear about them breaking down due to circuitry or cooling issues. Here is a link of my before/after setup...

http://www.mattlekawa.com/pictures/c...eforeAfter.jpg

Matt

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech
David

I have a mechanical fan with shroud and an electric fan on my '69 and have no issues with it at all!!!!

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 05:50 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Mark VIII fan... what car might we find them on ?

Ford _____ ?

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
Mark VIII fan... what car might we find them on ?

Ford _____ ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post

If you have the room a Taurus or Lincoln Mark VIII fan is a great option, very powerful. You can get them aftermarket from Vintage Air among other places. The Vintage Air fan has a 19" blade.
Doug, see if this is what you are lookin' for^^^^^^^^^^^^

David F.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech
george

I prefer electric puller fans myself.Horribly simple to control on/off times and if relay failure is a concern for you..a redundant can be wired in.
They do free up space in the engine bay for sure with the low profile designs available.Cfm #,s are all over the place..no set industry standard that i see.I go with the 1000 cfm per 10 amp draw running tight to a core vs 3000 cfm with an 18 amp draw on the bench.The Mustang black magic single puller is a wise choice for most applications.Good bang for the buck imo.
My application calls for a very low profile/high cfm fan kit.for this i went with Spal30102130.Running both fans pulls 40 amps and keeps my blown big block at 185* f in Woodward Ave dream cruise gridlock.I doubt you need this much airflow..but I would suspect the lincoln fans would be on par here amps wise.
Ps-You can turn off electric fans while setting total timing underhood.With a mechanical fan..I would suggest gear used by your local bomb squad.You have not lived until a fan blade whistles by your head and ends up in the next county.Ask me how i know.The last one i did,missed me but cut the battery positive wire in half before exiting past the crossmember and into the ground.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 06:35 PM
____

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969ProStreetCamaro View Post
Doug, see if this is what you are lookin' for^^^^^^^^^^^^

David F.

Thanks.lol

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
Thanks.lol
You're welcome Doug. Btw, love that new color and the stinger hood on your Camaro!!!!!.

David F.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 07:05 PM
____

Garage

Thanks.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 09, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech

If you've got a decent alternator (like a CS 130), electric fans do a much better job of keeping the engine cool sitting still or creeping along. At road speeds they'll actually shut off. Also they turn about the same speed always, unlike a mechanical fun which ranges from too slow to redline.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 09, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good, info looks likes time to clean up the engine compartment and be and stay cool Thanks again
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 09, 09:10 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

For what it's worth, I have actually had an electric fan (Flex-a-Lite) fail before but I will still be replacing the direct drive one in my '69 with an electric at some point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode