New tachometer intall: unique knee knocker style - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 09, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage
New tachometer intall: unique knee knocker style

I just installed a new tachometer in my 67 Camaro. My car did not come with a tach and I didn't want to change anything in my dash etc. so I mounted it to my steering column. I wanted something that looked period correct and that I could remove easily once I begin the full resto. I found that this auto meter gauge has similar styling to the knee knocker tach originally installed in the '67 Chevelle. The green light provided matches the original green cluster lights perfectly at night.
http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugede...id=3821&sid=13

Autometer tach:

67 Chevelle knee knocker tach:

Installation:
This was very simple. This gauge comes as a pedestal mount and has a cup and mounting ring. I mounted it to the column using a standard hose clamp. When you are sitting in the drivers seat it sits just below the field of view for the gas gauge so that you can see both the speedometer and gas gauge directly over the center of the tach. This would not be the case if you mounted it in the center. (The picture is at and odd angle but it does line up).

Wiring:
Again, this was simple and there are 4 wires. I ran the wires through the grommet used to hold the firewall insulation in place as it was right next to the ground strap for the black wire and a close route to running the green wire to the ignition coil.
White wire (Dash lights): to fuse block "lamps" connection
Red wire (Power): to fuse block "ign. fused" connection
Black wire (Ground): engine to firewall ground strap on the firewall
Green wire: negative of the ignition coil

Pictures:
Please excuse the cheap incorrect reproduction washer pump. Once I fix the original I will be putting it back in. Yeah, yeah I also know about the over spray. Other than a 80's repaint the owner left everything else original so I can't complain too much!

Dash:

Connections to the fuse block:

Underhood connections: (the ground connects to the ground screw just below the wiper motor)

Vince
69 Base Coupe "The Wrecker" Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 rs/SS L48 4spd Convertible -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 09, 09:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: New tachometer intall: unique knee knocker style

That's what I had in mind for my 69.... except I have a tilt column and the tach would hit the dash when tilted forward.
BTW: they make 1/2 inch width black nylon cable ties to use instead of a hose clamp.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 09, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77thor View Post
BTW: they make 1/2 inch width black nylon cable ties to use instead of a hose clamp.
You don't like my hose clamp? Ha ha... I had one in my garage that was the right size so that is what I used. I like your idea better! I can't say on the 69 for sure but I have alot of room to bring the tach forward without touching the wheel.

Vince

- SOLD

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 09, 10:07 AM

I needed a tach also and decided on this one after seeing your post. Really easy install. Thanks for the info.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 09, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian-1 View Post
I needed a tach also and decided on this one after seeing your post. Really easy install. Thanks for the info.
No problem... glad I could help!

Vince

- SOLD
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 09, 12:01 PM
Senior Tech
James

Quote:
I found that this auto meter gauge has similar styling to the knee knocker tach originally installed in the '67 Chevelle.

Not that it really matters here on Team Camaro, but 1967 Chevelles had what was called a "Blinker Tach" located up on the instrument panel.
It was the 1966 only Chevelles that had the "Knee Knocker" tach under the intrument panel to the right of the steering column.

You will, however, need to know this if you ever want to join Team Chevelle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode