1967 factory tachometer install??? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 09, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
wade

1967 factory tachometer install???

i have a 67 camaro and i bought a factory tach that I am wanting to install. My didnt come factory with the tach so Im wondering how to get the tach to work. Wouldnt think my factory harness that pluggs into the back of the gauges would have a tach wire but i dont know for sure. or can i just run my tach wire from my distrubutor to the little studs on on the back of the tach and by pass the circuit board. Any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
wade

Re: 1967 factory tachometer install???

still needing assistance.....anyone??????
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 09:59 AM
Apprentice
James

I am wondering the same thing....someone here has likely installed a factory tach in car that was not originally equipped with a tach.

Likely a new dash harness is needed or can the existing one be modified?

Would sure like to hear from anyone who has done this and perhaps added console gauges at the same time???

Thanks!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
wade

im gonna bump this back to the top hoping someone can help me ....i've been searching on here and have found some asking the same question but no real clear answer so far i think i can use the same circuit board but i just need to know what wire to run to the tach and where to hook it to the tach...any help would be greatly appreciated
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 03:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I used a conversion harness when I installed the tach and gauges in my 67. This harness is designed for adding a factory type tach and gauges in a car that did not come with them. The harness I got was well made and came with good instructions which made the job pretty easy. You should be able to get a conversion harness from any Camaro vender.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
wade

thanks farmboy that helps i will try to find that harness.....also did you have aftermarket electronic ignition i have msd dont know if that will make a difference or not......thanks again
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 11:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
jim

I went through the same thing a few years ago. Yes, you can wire it up without a new harness and without cutting into the old one. The problem is i cant remember exactly how the hell i did it. I think i just ran a wire from the pickup source to one of the studs on the back of the tach, not sure if i had to run a power wire or not but you can run a quick check with a circuit tester can answer that. The only difference is im using the stock points dist with a Pertronix kit. I know this is probably about as clear as mud but hopefully it helps point you in the right direction.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 09, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
wade

thanks jim at this point any and all help is appreciated. Im just trying to get peoples opinions on here cause I know others like you have had to have gone through this before. I just dont want to fry my tach .... no to big on thowing $200 dollars down tha drain. Thans again
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 09, 06:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

This is how my cluster plug looked after I modified it with the conversion harness. I was using the alligator clips as a jumper to the tach so I could calibrate it.

Are you also going to use the console gauges?

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 09, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
wade

steve thanks so much for the help and the pics .. I actually was searching for hours on here and found the pic of your plug last night. this is what i did i just installed the tach and cut the brown wire and and plugged it into my msd 6a box from what I read this should make it work.....but as my luck goes tach still not working I know its not a ground issue because i cleaned the ground strap real good with sandpaper and all my lights and blinkers work. so im thinking the tach may have a problem.... one more question the studs on the back of the tach which one should i run my tach lead to and is the other one a ground or hot if i want to test it and calibrate it like you show in the second pic.....again thanks sooo much for your help it is greatly appreciated
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 09, 05:22 AM

I am going through the same exact problem with my 1967 Camaro, with an MSD ready to run distributer. The cicuit board is the same on a Camaro with or without a tach. The wiring harness is not. If you connect a set of wires to the tach studs on a camaro that did not come originaly come with a tach you back feed power to the fuel sending unit then to ground. Cut the wire off the instrument panel plug marked from fuel tank as shown in the above picture and install a tach filter. MSD told me to install a .01 micro Farad 1000 volt ceramic capaciter in line with the negative coil wire going to the tach. Good luck to you, I am still working on mine as time permits.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 09, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
wade

I got tired of dealing with mine Don. Here is what I did I took my tach apart and and a new sun tach apart and just mounted the inside part of the sun tach to my original tach face turned out great and works perfectly. I'll try to post some pics if i can figure out how. Anyway give you something to think about and another option if you cant get it to work.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 09, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
wade

Here are a few pics how I solved my tachometer issue

as you can see in the last pic I have the tach mounted to my original face plate but I still havent put the needle on I used the factory needle off my factory tach
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 09, 05:54 AM

Wink Re: 1967 factory tachometer install???

I like your way of thinking this through Lownslowtexaco, I pulled my reproduction tach apart and found the MSD ignition fried the tachs main resistor. I orderd a Sun tach, its much cheaper than another reproduction I will let you know how it goes.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 09, 09:26 AM

Thank you,

Lownslowtexaco I found only the 2 5/8" Sun tach will work in the old housing. And it works very well and looks original thank you very much for the tip, I cancelled my order for a tach adapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode