power window wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 09, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
kevin

power window wiring

This is another one of my projects.It is not a camaro but it still is a concept that could be applied.There is some pretty good advice on here,so here is the question...

Guys, I have a 72 crew cab that I am adding power windows to.Primarily because the rear window cranks are retarded and in the way on the rear doors.I bought the Autoloc door locks that will be completely hidden.They are basically 1 master solenoid and three slave actuators.So whatever the front lock does,the others follow.It is completely hidden without the need for switches.

What I want to do with the power windows is put switches in each front door.The rear doors will not have switches in them.They will be activated from the front only.(childproof and hidden). Ideally I would like to have a single switch in the drivers door,coupled with a selector(similar to remote mirrors switch)that allows that one switch to control all four windows(one at a time)I need help with the schematics and suggestions on a selector would be nice.The alternating polarity really complicates this in my head.

So I should have only two wires to each rear door, four ? on the pass. front door. The drivers will have basically trigger wires to a relay bank to carry the load to the motors.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 09, 08:43 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: power window wiring

I would wire the windows through good quality relays. Use the door panel switches to activate the relays and between the door panel switches and relays for the windows use a selector switch to where now one switch can operate one window, two windows, three or four windows. If enough contacts are on a selector switch you could have one switch with a selector switch work different single or paired windows (you could make this one door panel switch work a right front and a left rear or a right front and right rear, or a left front and a right rear, and so on theoretically doing all of the possibilities).

A problem I see with a setup I think you are wanting is let's say one window is down and the others up. You have a selector switch setup to where one switch would roll this window up and also send a signal to the already rolled up window motors and this may affect the motor windings or have the system drawing more current than if they were all in the down position to start rolling up. Thinking out loud, you could add power window modules that are designed for alarm and get a signal to roll a window up or down and with some making the window switches one touch up or down and some have current limiting circuits in them to where if they are fully up or down a circuit trips open limiting any possible damage to the motors windings.

Wiring for such a thing possible but not from me. Just thinking about it and without any kind of circuit design program would take some time to draw out.

If you were to use let's say two selector switches with one on each door panel I would think some diodes would need to be used to keep things seperate.

Have fun, Now my brain hurts.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 09, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
kevin

Re: power window wiring

I figured out how to do it.I need to draw a diagram,but basically the switch will be a trigger for a relay bank.The switch and selector are switch load only,and remote relays carry the main current.As far as I can tell there is no possibility of shorting the way it is done.If you are interested in the details PM me and I will email a diagram when I am done.This cuts way down on the wiring going to each door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode